The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 2m HT for new ham?  (Read 3082 times)
KD7RQH

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2002, 12:40:14 PM »

I have just recieved my tech license and am curious as to the most appropriate 2m HT.  After checking out the different models, I have settled on the following: Icom w32a, tc7hp, Alinco djv5th, or Adi at201. My priorities are: !BATTERY LIFE! (I'm in the military and spend 12+ hours out at various posts), cost, durability, backlit dispay (those hours are frequently between 8pm to 8am) and variable power setting (prefer 3 settings).  Dual band is not a requirement (or is it?) as I do not hear much 70cm activity out here on Whidbey Island, WA.  The ADI seems to be the way to go for the price and the reviews seem to support this.  I'm just getting started (I'm studying my code now) so this could lead me anywhere.  Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Garry
         KD7RQH
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 02:36:54 PM »

For a new 2m HT, I'd recommend the Vertex Standard VX-150.

I own a bunch of 2m HT's, and this one is impressive in terms of features and battery life.  With the NiMh battery, it lasts several days of "receive" mode operation.  It has a mode where it will program itself to reduce transmit power when a very strong receive signal is encountered, which helps "automatically" prolong battery life even when used for transmitting.

Last trip I took with the VX-150, on a single full battery charge, I used the unit for an entire weekend, on and off, but mostly "on," without ever recharging it.

WB2WIK/6
K9PO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 02:33:03 AM »

Why not consider skipping the whole FM repeater thing for right now and get an all-mode VHF or 6m radio? This way you can start to experience what some of the challenges are for ham radio, SSB DX, CW DX, psk-31, etc. 6m is opening up now, today I say many contacts between the US and Europe.

If you still need some local voice comm, get a FRS. Once you pass your code then reward yourself with a FM HT.

73-Scott
VE9KAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 09:19:01 AM »

Another vote for the vx-150, great little radio, if you are taking it into the field you need a tough radio, and this one is, battery power is ok but I'd suggest getting a high capacity batt for it. I've had one for about 6 months, and am very happy with it. PS I'm a "new" ham, been liscensed about 6 months
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 07:16:05 PM »

Go for the $100 ADI or Icom, and use alkaline batteries. If you use Nicads, you'll run out when you least want to,unless you carry a spare. Or use Nicads, with alkaline pack for when they run out. Will you be in a vehicle with a cigarette lighter socket? Carry a charging cable for the radio. If you want to really save money, get a used RS HTX-202, and a new Nicad or NiMH pack for it, and an alkaline to use the same way. It is bulky though. The other smaller radios may be handier to carry around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: