The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna For a New Dodge Van  (Read 1480 times)
N7QXZ

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2002, 09:47:05 AM »

The XLY just bought a New Dodge Van..Now the problem..She will not allow me to place an antenna on it if i need to cut holes in it.. Would like to know if there are any types of antennas that would work on this van..Looking for any info..

Thanks
de N7XQZ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 09:51:52 AM »

What bands are you going to be using?Huh??

Dennis - KG4RUL
N7QXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 10:00:36 AM »

Sorry about that i was tring to find out how to edit the post..This antenna will be for VHF..
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 06:04:14 AM »

The only "stealth" antennas I have seen advertised are for HF and are extreme compromises at best (also, they aren't really very 'stealthy').  There are some very expensive antennas available for 800MHz and up that are used by police (usually but into mirrors), etc.  But, a truly unnoticeable vhf antenna is something I am not aware of.  

However, a good compromise is to get a glass mount antenna which looks a whole lot like a larger cellular phone antenna.  I have a dual-band unit on my Ford van .  Installation was a snap.  

I was able to place the antenna at the top center of the windshield, adhering to the manufacturer's specs of course, and simply pushed the cable back into the headliner till I got to driver's side.  The cable then was slipped behind a piece of molding on the side of the windshield and then down to the bottom edge of the dash.  

The only place that the cable is seen at all is about 2" at the right edge of the dash and you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out to you.  

The rig is on top of the engine cover console.  To avoid drilling holes into the cover, it is held in place with 4 small bungee cords.  I can remove it in less than a minute.

Dennis - KG4RUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: