The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 811a scorch marks  (Read 2775 times)
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »

Thanks - now if I can only get the gremlins in charge to make the change to my user name.
The video was most instructive though it didn't directly address scorch marks.  I did speak with Ameritron support last week and he seemed of the opinion that the tube was likely ok.  I think I will take a closer look tomorrow.
I guess the bottom line is that even though it doesn't look good it tunes and puts out normal power, or at least I think so.
WD8SBB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:02 PM »

Based on the video that Dave pointed to, the getter is toward the bottom of the tube.  It is the little round metal "pie plate" you see when he mentions the silver in the bottom of the tube.

I was always told that the metal "pan" or "ring" had the reactive metal, and that the silverish look was from the getter "firing".  If you loose vacuum, you will get different colored "stuff" inside the tube.  Most often a whitish powder forms with a lot of leakage.

Since there are different substances used for getters, there are also different results seen inside the tubes.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: