The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fond memories of your old Novice station?  (Read 17363 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »

My first station was an EICO kit 2 tube transmitter with plug in coils for 80, 40 and 20 meters CW and separate crystals for each band. The receiver was a Hilicrafter S-107 communications type. My second station was a Heathkit SB-401-1 transmitter and the same receiver (talk about tuning in a SSB signal with a BFO and RF gain with no sideband filter. The receiver is gone now but the SB-401-1 is still in use and works as good as ever. I am also using the same mike from the 60s, Electrovoice 729SR cardioid and receive excellent audio reports. Ah the good old days.

73s
K2OWK
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »

in 1976 -- I got a used HW-16 with crystals not a VFO.  I remember how excited I was when I got home from school via my bicycle (Freshman in high school) and 15 meters was open!  what fun that was!  Then my uncle got me an old HX-10 and a Hallicrafters rcvr for a while after i became a general 1977). then i got my Advanced and a used Drake TR-3 (the TR-4 was already out) which was very nice.  I left ham radio after getting a driver's license and a girlfriend, but recently came back.  

Two years ago I got an Icom 730 but it was too new school for me to like.  Then a Ten Tec Argonaut V (516) which is great but also a bit too new school and not enough power for SSB. I just got a Ten-Tec Omni C (546) like the kind I used to drool over in the QST ads when i was a young ham.  What a beauty!  This thing is so awesome (and so much fun)!  I hope it holds up.

73, K9AIM
K6DZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 05:21:15 AM »

Speaking of a Knight R-100A.

I have one in a box.

Actually its still in kit form. I did open the previously sealed main Allied Radio box to veryify I hadn't traded for a pig in a poke back a few years when I got received this in trade. I can verify the chasis manuals, panels, huge fold out assembly charts etc etc are all there. And a still sealed inner box with all the hundreds small parts.

Smells nice!

Anyways I think I will see before Xmas on Ebay. You might keep an eye out on Ebay for knight kit allied R-100A if you hanker to build one like you may have done in the old days.

It does have some circuit board soldering and also a lot of point to point but it is all hollow state, lots of tubes!
It does not have the optional Smeter nor the Xtal calibrator which were seperate kits. Instead just a panel that covers the meter hole.

Prolly sell thru girlfriend's ebay account: lindacon.

73, Rob

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

It was 1967 and I had a summer job as a bus-boy in a country club.  Not many tips but at $1.25 an hour I could work all the hours I wanted.  So, I saved up and went into the local Allied Radio Store in the River Oaks Shopping Center (Lansing Ill) and found a used Hallicrafters S-108.  Bought it and started copying code.  Got my Novice ticket three months later (WN9WSS) and went back to the same Allied Store.  They sold me their factory-wired demo T-60 transmitter. 
I put up about 65 ft. of 8 pair telco wire center fed and started calling CQ on 40M.  Didn't know anything about antenna matching so I loaded the T-60 on a lightbulb.  Straight key was a J-38. 
Three months later I had my General and bought a Vibroplex Presentation key.

Greg
KG6YV
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »

In 1954, Mom gave me the old radio out of the hall, a Zenith floor model with the large round dial and a 6E5 "magic eye". 

Pulled it out of the cabinet, removed all but a couple of plates from each section of the tuning capacitor, and padded it back with fixed micas so the 80, 40 and 20m bands were all around the dial.  Made a new cardboard dial with penciled calibration.

Broke the IF loose from the detector and coupled it to a BC-453 "Q-5er".  You could get those ARC-5s for $2-$3 brand new in those days.  That gave me double conversion, passband tuning, variable 2nd IF selectivity and a BFO.  Came out of the ARC-5 detector and went back to the Zenith push-pull 6k6 audio output.

Great receiver for a kid who was a new ham with no money.

The transmitter was crystal controlled (later homebrew VFO) 6AG7 into a pair of 1625s in class C. 

Antennas were mostly wire, fed with homemade open wire (popsicle stick spreaders) or telephone dropline. 

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »

We were a very poor family. I had to piece stuff together out of old radios and TV sets from the local dump and other trash heaps. ...

Poor family? I thought your dad was a plumber! ;-)

Seriously, I came from a poor family as well. I used to take my little wagon down the alleys, drag old TVs back home, cut the parts out of them, and build stuff. And don't you think doing it that way was a lot more fun than buying a brand new rig?

To make a long story short, my first Novice station were converted ARC-5 transmitters and a Hammarlund BC-779 receiver (that constantly needed repair). Later, I got a Johnson Pacemaker transmitter from W8YET. That was my first Novice station.

I won't discuss the AM broadcast band transmitters. ;-)

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: