The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-450AT or IC 707 New ham needs some advice.  (Read 3893 times)
VE3PLO

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »

Pricing is an issue for me, but i have sold my FT-847 few months back, lost some of my work, and now am stuck without a rig.

Ft has a Tuner built in, it is fairly new, the guy who had it is a new ham, didn't like it and after two months of owning it bought a big icom.

The IC-707 is being sold by a big store in the city here, ... i know it lacks DSP.. but is it a better rig? both have good reviews on eham.

I am a new ham, and just looking for something basic, the only thing i am affraid of is that KNOB on the 450. hehe... but i guess one can get used to it?
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »

I have an FT-450 in use as my internet based HF remote out in the eastern Nevada desert.  Nice little radio - jack of all trades HF, master of none.  The environmental conditions at my remote site are miserable.  Hot/Cold/Dry/Damp.  The 450 has been fine for the last year.  If you choose an FT-450 and like to wear headphones, I will strongly suggest a pair of true communications headsphones like the Kenwood HS-5's.  Wide response entertainment market 'phones will let some audio chain crude through.

73 Luke
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »

I'd say there's no comparison.

The IC-707 is larger with a bigger tuning knob.

Other than that, it's just "old" and lacks much of the sophistication of the FT-450 which is far newer and has DSP features including variable filter bandwidth.

I think the choice would be very clear.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

You're comparing a new rig with current technology and a much older radio without the benefit of DSP, no 6 meters and a host of other features on the FT-450.

The 450 is the clear winner. I had a 450 for 18 months or so. I sold it to buy another rig but for the money it's hard to beat because it has many features and functions not often found on entry-level and entry-priced radios. As for the small tuning knob on the 450, it's not ideal but far from a deal breaker. You can easily do big QSYs across any band by using the Select knob which can be programmed in one of several steps. This will get you from the low end of 10 meters to the high end faster than any tuning knob. By using the radio this way, the small tuning knob becomes something you use primarily for the fine tuning once you get into the vicinity of the signal you want to tune in.

Personally, the lack of a decent bail for lifting up the front of the FT-450 is a bigger deal than the smallish tuning knob. But you can easily add a bail or feet to prop up the front of the radio to aid seeing the front panel.

73, N4KZ
WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »

You didn't mention the pricing of the Radios. The '707 is a very rugged radio and related to a commerical Icom transceiver. It's sister, the IC-77 is the exact same radio running different firmware and restricted to channelized operation. Both of these models (707 & 77) were used heavily in Latin America during the 90's in selective call networks. Used with an AH-2 autocoupler, the radio is virtually turnkey in operation. It was replaced with the IC-718/IC-78 Amateur/Commercial transceiver pair. With the '718 selling around $500, the used '707 would have to be significantly cheaper if it's going to be a good deal especially if the radio has any accessory filters installed. Check out the link to see it's sister radio.

http://www.rigpix.com/protrx/icom_ic77.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: