The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tecs new Radio.  (Read 3047 times)
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »

Quote from: K6AER
I have been following this post for awhile and the big elephant in the room, that few have realized, is what Ten-Tec is going to bring out that outperforms the current Yaseu/Icom/Kenwwod generation of radios and will also be cheaper. Anything brought out will need a better warranty, more performance, lower cost, and that all forgotten…sex appeal.

the point that competing on pricing with Japanese transceiver makers like Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood (who outsource their xcvr  manufacturing to places like Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia) is an uphill climb is well-taken, but those who suggest that Ten-Tec owner Mike Dishop is unaware of this challenge are being condescending if not absurd.  There is that share of the ham market in the USA that is willing to spend a little more for a radio designed, made and serviced here in the USA. 

Quote from: W3WN
Mike hasn’t said this, but it seems pretty clear that the road to returning Ten Tec to the Amateur market has been... baby steps.

Very roughly speaking, since the acquisition...
First came relocating the facility to better quarters.
Then came repairs only. 
(Next came re-entry into the Commercial market, about the same time, but that’s a different market)
Now we have an update on the Omni VII.  Market re-entry.
Updated Eagle and Argonaut rigs are promised next. 
After that?  I expect that the previous steps buys time and brings in $$ for the next generation Orion or equivalent, amongst other possible rigs.  Time will tell, and we shall see.

Sure, it would have been nice if Mike had been able to immediately go back into production.  But that wasn’t possible, not after the RKR fire sale and near-complete liquidation.

from the discussion I had with Mike at Hamvention, i thought next up on the (subject-to-change) agenda after the Omni VII+ -- which i believe is a first run for TT's new capacity to fabricate metal front panels in Ohio -- is the new Super Eagle and then the Orion III.  An Argonaut VII was mentioned that will include the missing WARC band (12 meters), but that seemed further off ... if i heard right, the Fire Sale price point of the Argonaut VI of the previous ownership was at or below cost. 
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 02:02:21 PM »

Quote from: K6AER
I have been following this post for awhile and the big elephant in the room, that few have realized, is what Ten-Tec is going to bring out that outperforms the current Yaseu/Icom/Kenwwod generation of radios and will also be cheaper. Anything brought out will need a better warranty, more performance, lower cost, and that all forgotten…sex appeal.

the point that competing on pricing with Japanese transceiver makers like Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood (who outsource their xcvr  manufacturing to places like Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia) is an uphill climb is well-taken, but those who suggest that Ten-Tec owner Mike Dishop is unaware of this challenge are being condescending if not absurd.  There is that share of the ham market in the USA that is willing to spend a little more for a radio designed, made and serviced here in the USA.  

I don't recall anyone suggesting, or even hinting that Ten Tec is unaware of the challenges posed by other radio manufacturers.  I also think you took some license with the truth here unless you can post something from anyone in this thread that would suggest otherwise.  I suspect not.

I have not been able to find any technical specification that sets the Omni VII+ apart from the Omni VII.  And please,  don't say switches or metal front panel because those mean nothing, the original Omni VII has switches and a front panel.  What does it do that the legacy Omni VII does not?

Warranty you say?  the website doesn't go into any detail about that.  I assume it's a standard warranty but since they don't say, I don't know. and neither do you.  There are quite a few very nice used Omni VII's for sale almost all the time for less than a thousand dollars.  They don't have a warranty but they can be serviced right here in the USA if necessary. 

There is nothing derogatory, or inflammatory about what I just posted, and there is certainly nothing condescending, I am talking about the Ten Tec company and it's products.  Those are just facts and you can not dispute them with any other argument. 

Please leave the personal attacks out of the discussion, we are talking about a radio company, nothing more.

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »

I have not been able to find any technical specification that sets the Omni VII+ apart from the Omni VII.  And please, don't say switches or metal front panel because those mean nothing, the original Omni VII has switches and a front panel.  What does it do that the legacy Omni VII does not?

Warranty you say?  the website doesn't go into any detail about that.  I assume it's a standard warranty but since they don't say, I don't know. and neither do you.  There are quite a few very nice used Omni VII's for sale almost all the time for less than a thousand dollars.  They don't have a warranty but they can be serviced right here in the USA if necessary. 

you see and portray the new TT Omni VII+ as if it is a cup half empty -- we get that -- but what if it is really half full(?) 

If you are truly interested in the new Omni VII+ then you will either have to buy one or wait to hear from folks who do, ... so why not just hold off on posting about TT again until one of those two scenarios plays out?

video interview of the 2019 Hamvention Ten-Tec booth:  https://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »

I have not been able to find any technical specification that sets the Omni VII+ apart from the Omni VII.  And please, don't say switches or metal front panel because those mean nothing, the original Omni VII has switches and a front panel.  What does it do that the legacy Omni VII does not?

you see and portray the new TT Omni VII+ as if it is a cup half empty -- we get that -- but what if it is really half full(?) 

If you are truly interested in the new Omni VII+ then you will either have to buy one or wait to hear from folks who do, ... so why not just hold off on posting about TT again until one of those two scenarios plays out?

video interview of the 2019 Hamvention Ten-Tec booth:  https://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA

I see the TT Omni VII+ as the same old radio from 2006, it is what it is, there is nothing to portray here.  I have seen a lot of reviews already for the Omni VII, and since the + model is the same radio I can't imagine that anything has changed.  Seen the video interview five times and it does not change anything above. 

K6AER's post is absolutely spot on.  I am waiting to see what the all new Super Eagle will bring to the table.  I am hopeful that there will be some performance and feature enhancements along with some new operating features as well.  Exciting times.   
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »

I am waiting to see what the all new Super Eagle will bring to the table.  I am hopeful that there will be some performance and feature enhancements along with some new operating features as well.  Exciting times.   

even if it meets all your above-mentioned criteria, if past is prologue -- the odds are pretty good that when the SuperEagle does come out -- you will find something to complain about   Cheesy

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

I am waiting to see what the all new Super Eagle will bring to the table.  I am hopeful that there will be some performance and feature enhancements along with some new operating features as well.  Exciting times.   

even if it meets all your above-mentioned criteria, if past is prologue -- the odds are pretty good that when the SuperEagle does come out -- you will find something to complain about   Cheesy

LOL

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »

You are almost right, I will view it with the same critical eye that I view every new radio that comes along.  I have been critical of Elecraft and Flex for some of their shortcomings and Ten Tec is no different in that regard.  If their stuff is wired then cool, if not I will say so. 

Your statement about when the super eagle comes out might be overly optimistic since they still need to sell the Omnis they have in stock, and they are not exactly flying off the shelf.
N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 05:50:51 AM »

I will view [the Super Eagle] with the same critical eye that I view every new radio that comes along.  I have been critical of Elecraft and Flex for some of their shortcomings and Ten Tec is no different in that regard.  If their stuff is wired then cool, if not I will say so. 

over the last few years, the critical stuff you keep posting about Ten-Tec is before you have used the radio or seen the specs, and -- judging by the percentage of your eham posts which entail throwing shade at Ten-Tec -- you are definitely an over-achiever here! 

Quote from: KB4QAA
"Never miss an opportunity to run down Ten Tec and Mike Dishop!" 
-eHam Gravedigger Motto-

sadly i think you have nailed it...  Wink

video interview of the 2019 Hamvention Ten-Tec boothhttps://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 07:59:29 AM »

I will view [the Super Eagle] with the same critical eye that I view every new radio that comes along.  I have been critical of Elecraft and Flex for some of their shortcomings and Ten Tec is no different in that regard.  If their stuff is wired then cool, if not I will say so. 

over the last few years, the critical stuff you keep posting about Ten-Tec is before you have used the radio or seen the specs, and -- judging by the percentage of your eham posts which entail throwing shade at Ten-Tec -- you are definitely an over-achiever here! 

Quote from: KB4QAA
"Never miss an opportunity to run down Ten Tec and Mike Dishop!" 
-eHam Gravedigger Motto-

sadly i think you have nailed it...  Wink

video interview of the 2019 Hamvention Ten-Tec boothhttps://youtu.be/RqvCDt6X5eA

"you keep posting about Ten-Tec is before you have used the radio or seen the specs"

I have owned two Ten Tec radios over the years, one I liked and the other,,,not so much, I love my Ten Tec 238 tuner, best tuner ever made.

I did use an Omni VII at field day in 2008, we ran it side by side with an IC-756 ProIII.  Everyone there felt that the PRO III completely out performed the Omni VII, including me. 

So why not talk about the radios and leave the personal attacks out of it.  That seems to be your standard tactic to try and get threads like this one closed so people can't post anything that you don't want to hear.

It would be nice if Ten Tec would publish some data on their web site that says specifically what internal differences there are between the Omni VII+ and the legacy Omni VII.  It would also be good if the Ten Tec web site had more information regarding possible new radios, like the proposed Super Eagle, or Eagle + or whatever they plan to call it.  When it comes to marketing, no news is, well,  no news.  Also, the news dropdown is the same two year old stuff with absolutely nothing new.

It shows a lot of pictures of the PC board manufacturing facility and equipment. 

There are no pictures of Ten Tec radios, no photos of the Ten Tec facilities in Tennessee, and a long blurb about Alpha amplifiers.  Alpha has their own web site, and it shows exactly the same stuff.

I would like to hear from someone who works in the Tennessee facility, surely at least one of them is a ham.

N9FB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 09:36:32 AM »

Quote from: N9FB
the critical stuff you keep posting about [the Omni VII + and Super Eagle] is before you have used [either] radio or seen the specs 

^fixed it for ya^

I have owned two Ten Tec radios over the years, one I liked and the other,,,not so much, I love my Ten Tec 238 tuner, best tuner ever made.

I did use an Omni VII at field day in 2008, we ran it side by side with an IC-756 ProIII.  Everyone there felt that the PRO III completely out performed the Omni VII, including me. 

So why not talk about the radios and leave the personal attacks out of it.  That seems to be your standard tactic to try and get threads like this one closed so people can't post anything that you don't want to hear.

It would be nice if Ten Tec would publish some data on their web site that says specifically what internal differences there are between the Omni VII+ and the legacy Omni VII.  It would also be good if the Ten Tec web site had more information regarding possible new radios, like the proposed Super Eagle, or Eagle + or whatever they plan to call it.  When it comes to marketing, no news is, well,  no news.  Also, the news dropdown is the same two year old stuff with absolutely nothing new.

It shows a lot of pictures of the PC board manufacturing facility and equipment. 

There are no pictures of Ten Tec radios, no photos of the Ten Tec facilities in Tennessee, and a long blurb about Alpha amplifiers.  Alpha has their own web site, and it shows exactly the same stuff.

I would like to hear from someone who works in the Tennessee facility, surely at least one of them is a ham.

Ten-Tec owner Mike Dishop gave you his number and asked you to call him in that thread you started a while back https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,123601.15.html
yet when you are asked why you keep posting your negative spin here and do not have the common courtesy to call him, this was your response:

Quote from: KA4DPO
That has nothing to do with courtesy.  I have no intention of calling him, or anyone else for that matter.  That is, in my estimation, a very childish game.  I am too old for that kind of nonsense.  Why don't you call him for me.
source: https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,125164.73.html
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »

I am very anxious to see something about the proposed Super Eagle posted on the Ten Tec website.  I also think a photo or two of the assembly and shipping facilities in Tennessee would go a long way in polishing the apple, so to speak.  The power of advertising should not be underestimated.  

There are other American amateur radio manufacturers, have a look at Elecraft or Flex Radios websites, pull down the "About Us" tabs.

Those sites have lots of information that a prospective customer will find very useful in making a purchasing decision. Heck, Elecraft is throwing out teasers for their K4 and it is still in development.  They also advertise in QST and on this, and other amateur radio sites.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:50:09 AM by KA4DPO » Logged
N5KO
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »

This topic has run its course and has been locked.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: