The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax proximity to electrical service an issue?  (Read 2620 times)
W2FFQ

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »

I am planning on a more permanent antenna installation and will be running some coax across the yard and through the house foundation.

The best place to enter the house is right next to the electrical service (if I want to keep the run <100' and avoid going through two foundation walls).

The upside is that it will be very convenient for grounding purposes before it enters the house (will terminate the cable with a through bulkhead fitting and waterproof utility box, then bond to the house ground literally three feet away).

The downside(?) is that the cable will be entering the house right where the electrical service does (I will not be doing any digging, the coax will be buried in a few inches of mulch). Should I be at all concerned about potential RFI or noise issues having the coax feed pass within inches/feet of the house electircal service entrance and panel?

Thanks,

Jeff W2FFQ
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »

It will not be an EMI problem.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »

No problemo. Once you get to the operating position, the cable is smack in the middle of plenty of AC power anyway. That's the lovely thing about coax. If everything is working more or less as it should, it won't pick up any noise that you'll be hearing.

Don't get to feeling all too good about grounding to the house safety ground rod if you're thinking about lightning. You either worry about lightning and do the whole lightning protection project, or don't worry about it. The house safety ground is just that and has nothing to do with lightning.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »

I agree.    In fact, Coax entry near the power entry is a very desireable location! 
But as also pointed out, Your electric power ground is minimal. If I were doing this I would add a few more ground rods (8 foot long heavy copperclad rods sell for only about 10 bucks at most home supply stores)
Space your new rods about twice the distance apart as the depth.
(16 or so feet apart, And away from your electric system ground rods) And be sure to bond all grounds together. (Power, Telco, CATV, Your new antenna mast/tower, etc all get bonded together)
W2FFQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful and allows me to get moving on the simpler solution.

Re: lightning protection - that makes a lot of sense that the house ground would be insufficient for lighting protection.

I am having an electician out next week for some other work, and my intention was to ask him to evaluate the house ground (looks pretty skimpy, the lead out of the house is not even #6 wire), and see about beefing up the system with a few more rods.  I have a straight run that I can make from that side of the house that would accommodate a couple more rods easily.

Thanks again, this is great help.

73, Jeff W2FFQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: