The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron ALS-1300 Unpacking / Pictures  (Read 74576 times)
NG7M

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »

I took delivery of an ALS-1300 this afternoon. This may be bordering on too much information (TMI), but I took a bunch of pictures of the packaging as I unboxed the amp and opened it up to check it out.  I thought others might want to see how Ameritron packs their amps.  49 lbs shipment in one box.

The pictures are located here on my web server:

http://www.nc7j.com/downloads/NG7M/Ameritron/ALS-1300/

I went into this knowing what I was getting as far as the fit and expected finish.  I sent several emails asking questions to others that have this amp... many of you have posted in these forums of course.

Did I expect to get an ACOM-2000A at this price? Uh, I don't think so... but this amp is very compelling for the price / size / weight and power output.  I won't go into the features... just know what you are getting for the money.  I expect this amp to work out nice for my needs and expectations.  I can take it portable / 7QP / Field Day / etc... small footprint.

In the pics you can is it was boxed up pretty well.  It made the trip from GA to Utah just fine.  Double boxed and in good shape.

This is serial number: 23573 (is this really number 73?)  Not sure how Ameritron serial numbers play out.

Every thing looked good out of the boxes. I opened up the amp first.  One irritating thing out of the box was the fact that I could see one of the ribbon cables through one of the cooling vents that had been wore through on the edge... scuffed up to the wire.  I have some pictures of this that you can see.  It looks like it's okay, but I wrapped some tape around it an tucked it in a better routed space.  

The 42 screws and case are MFJ typical.  Again, expected fit and finish.

There was one press mounted chassis nut floating around in the bottom of the amp. Why was I not surprised? It appears to be a left over and wasn't from a left out screw on the bottom of the chassis. It was easy to remove and it was obvious it wasn't due to a missing screw.  I guess I joined the 'something is rattling around club'. Wink

That was about it for the amp... see the pictures... I made sure all the component plugs we tight etc.  Everything else looked pretty to be in pretty good shape, visible soldering etc...

The power supply looked clean... nothing lose floating around in the power supply. Bonus! Smiley

After getting the covers back in place, I fired up the amp to make sure the PS was going to light up the front panel.  It fired up just fine and shows the right voltage for the PS banks.

I'm waiting on a SteppIR at this point, so comments on how the amp works on the air will come later. 3+ months and still waiting on the SteppIR, but that's another story.

I hope someone else finds the pictures useful / interesting.

I think this will be a nice little amp and I'm looking forward to the no-tune / auto band switching with the ARI-500 etc...

de Max NG7M
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »

I was a little surprised in how close they have that ribbon cable to that balun. I can see where they had an issue with the cable scraping as it takes a roll before it goes to the top of the circuit board.

Tisha, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »

Great pictures Max, thanks!  I have had friends asking me to take detailed pictures of mine.  Saved me from loosening/tightening 46 screws.  Let me know how you like yours after you have run it for a while.

73, BJ
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »

Hey Max:

Congrats on your new amp, hope you like it.
Where are the tubes? I can't see the
"Plate" and "Load" knobs. Smiley
Seriously, looks well made.
Only thing I would change, and it's a minor personal
"Nit" is that I don't like cross needle meters.

Field Day use? FD is for batteries and K2's with hunks of wire tossed into trees with a slingshot.
Just kidding.

And the size & weight w/PS is good for portable.
Would both fit in a large Pelican Case and still be under 50-60 lbs for the airline. My AL80A and Pelican 1620 case barely came in under 60 lbs when I went to 5R8.

I see you said "7QP". Where are you headed, Malawi? If so when?

Say, are HV1 & HV2 for seperate PA boards that are combined? What are the PA devices?

The Web Cluster spotting on your site is spiffy, too!

Thanks again for the pics!
Enjoy your new amp!
73, Ken  AD6KA
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »

Looks like they still haven't fixed the "Refected" Power typo that I noted like about a year ago.
NG7M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »

Hi Ken, it uses eight MRF-150 FET's, hence the 8 x 150 watts out power rating at 1200 watts.

Yeah, FD is a bit of a stretch unless it's a FD for Q's only... running power... Wink  But would be easy to move around and use on a high power FD effort...

I was planning on heading down to a 'rare' county in Utah, but 7QP is only two weeks out now.  Not sure I'll do a full on effort at this point.  Maybe go to a friends station and do something here in the county where I live in Utah (Davis County).

The HV1 and HV2 selections are to monitor the voltage on the two PA modules... as you suspected, 48-50v per boards.

I hope to kick the tires on it soon in the next few weeks... putting up a new antenna.

Max NG7M
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »

Looks like they still haven't fixed the "Refected" Power typo that I noted like about a year ago.

The spelling is correct for the county of origin. The meters are manufactured in SE Asia.  :-)

The artwork that went out was correct. I just looked at it. :-(
K8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »

Nice pictures OM... Hope the amp works good.

VY 73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »

I noticed the 10 meter Low Pass Filter was not installed. What did they say you have to do to receive the components to install the filter?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

Not nearly enough pictures! Tongue

Actually, this was great.

The loose PEM nut is a bad thing.  That could get lodged in exactly the wrong place per Murphy and cause the next BIG BANG.  Glad you were able to remove it before applying power.

In my AL-80B one of the chassis PEM inserts came out the second time I turned a screw into it (to hold the cover in place)...so I had to take all the screws out to find it.  What a pain, but with 3kV floating around in there I knew what was likely to happen.  I suspect the mechanical design could be lacking...PEMs are designed to fit certain sheet metal thicknesses and certain diameter holes and if either is off, it can get loose and fall out.

Nice job on the photos, though!  I'll be watching my Refected power.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »

I received a new ALS-600 on Friday and have tested it. There were no loose parts. The cabinet work is not perfect but is good enough for me. It easily makes 500 watts on the tested bands, 80-15 meters. It will produce rated power into a 2:1 VSWR.

The ALS-600 is half of an ALS-1300. I wonder why the bigger amp is not called an ALS-1200? I notice that the Icom IC-PW1 amplifier, using the same number of MRF150 transistors, is specified to run 1000 watts SSB while the ALS-1300 is specified for 1200 watts SSB.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »

I received a new ALS-600 on Friday and have tested it. There were no loose parts. The cabinet work is not perfect but is good enough for me. It easily makes 500 watts on the tested bands, 80-15 meters. It will produce rated power into a 2:1 VSWR.

The ALS-600 is half of an ALS-1300. I wonder why the bigger amp is not called an ALS-1200? I notice that the Icom IC-PW1 amplifier, using the same number of MRF150 transistors, is specified to run 1000 watts SSB while the ALS-1300 is specified for 1200 watts SSB.

The PW-1 is conservatively rated and makes enough noise to drive you out of the room.  I've never used (or even "seen") an ALS-1300.  Is it as "loud" as a PW-1?
K8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:13 AM »

What I don't get why Martin Ju (I think that's how he spells his last name!) didn't just add one or two more transistors and let it do full legal limit?

240VDC for 1200 watts, seems like a waste to me.

Just a sayin'

KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »

I don't know about the ALS-1300 fan noise but the ALS-600 fan is relatively quiet. The laptop PC fan makes more noise.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »

The PW-1 is conservatively rated and makes enough noise to drive you out of the room.  I've never used (or even "seen") an ALS-1300.  Is it as "loud" as a PW-1?

I own a PW-1 and I don't think it is noisy at all.  In fact, I often forget that it is even on.  Of course, I am making use of my detachable control head and the actual amp sits on the floor underneath the shack table.  When I do use the amp, I know when the fan is on but after a few moments I forget that it is there and it is not a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: