The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams and "Earth Day"  (Read 2170 times)
DISCONE

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »

Today as I visited my local natural forest preserve (with a few beverages) it was a beautiful day in the Chicago metro (Suburban North Cook county) area sunny near 65. As I roamed the landscape, I noticed several - then several more - then more than a dozen people with black garbage bags picking up trash and clanking bottles. What the heck is going on? Its EARTH DAY! OH MY GOD I ALMOST FORGOT!

So let me ask what have you shothful hams been doing for Earth Day? I suppose no one has done anything, as usual as being "next to the fridge is more important." I got out and got my walk today not hide from my shack. Please enlighten...
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

I got outdoors with the students at the Elementary School where I volunteer 3 or 4 days a week.  We cleaned up the whole "campus", getting rid of a lot of papers and junk that get blown around the school.  It was also "Volunteer Appreciation Day", which made things even more special!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »

I visited the storage garage and broke out the Big Block. 

Spent the day creating a glorious carbon footprint. 

WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »

Well, if you go to the web site relating to the "Flag of Earth" project, just the fact that you are a Amateur Radio Operator, they view you as such:

History - The Flag of Earth at:
LINK: http://www.flagofearth.org/history.html

Uses of the Flag of Earth at:
LINK: http://www.flagofearth.org/uses.html

"Are you a ham radio operator, contacting other operators around the world? Your skills will be very useful if there is some large-scale disaster, so you can ask for help, or provide help, to others around the world. This is truly a skill which benefits the Earth. Fly your Flag of Earth next to your antennas, to indicate that your project benefits all Earth's countries."

So, be proud of your skills and communication knowledge as a valuable resource that benefits your local community, as well as, the planet in general.

Happy Earth Day!

73 de WA2ONH Charlie

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »

A guy I know said he was burning TWO truck tires in honor of Earth Day.  (Hey, trees gotta breath, too, you know!)

All I could find was one old tire for my mini van.

I feel so inadequate.   Undecided
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »

I drank coffee and watched it snow.
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:20 AM »

Earth Day ? That's Lenin's birthday !
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »

With my bigblock, I burn the tires a fractional amount at a time. 

Typically at every stoplight.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

I raked up what was left of the leaves and acorns in my back yard and opened up my swimming pool.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »

Maybe the world would be a cleaner place if those trash bags were placed over present and past Chicago politicians.

73 de Lindy
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »

Maybe the world would be a cleaner place if those trash bags were placed over present and past Chicago politicians.

73 de Lindy

I wouldn't want to contaminate the trash.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: