The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SS amps reliability and protection  (Read 3758 times)
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »

"Turning them off when I'm done isn't much protection, but it's something. "

Why do people still miss the point? Simply UNPLUG your antenna from the radio , and UNPLUG the power from the radio when not in use. If you have NO grounds hooked all over the place, the chances lightning coming thru a window and hitting your radio is NUL. Your antenna MAY get hit , but your equipment will survive because it is not hooked to the outside world. Now on the other hand , if you DO UNPLUG your antenna from the radio , and UNPLUG the power from the radio BUT still have grounds all over the place and your antenna DOES get hit by lightning , your equipment is most likely toast. Referenced above , I have ONLY placed claims on radios that WERE hooked to grounds (or not unhooked from Power/ Ant) and NEVER made a claim for a radio unhooked from the outside world completely

Grounding is extremely dangerous if you use the typical ground rod , star grounds , copper railing , etc.  It is MOST important to ground the antenna (tower or whatever) but I never once had equipment damage from lightning because I was "unhooked" from the outside world
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: