The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit SB-200 fan noise  (Read 2143 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:53:44 PM »

Hello All -
 I am ready to hook up the SB-200 that I recently purchased and I was wondering about something. Before I finally apply power from the transceiver I turned the SB-200 on to check it's B+ voltage. That was fine but I was under the impression that the fan should be quieter, especially since this is the Harbach fan. It seemed pretty noisy to me and I was thinking that the noise of the fan would make copying weak stations without headphones a challenge.
 Could someone please comment on the fan noise from any SB-200 they have used? Is this typical? Thanks.

Bruce
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »

I have one SB-200 with the Harbach plastic bladed fan and one SB-200 with the original smaller metal fan blade.  The noise is about the same but I don't find that it is a problem.   I know that the Harbach fan does a better job in cooling the amp. 
I have seen pictures of SB-200's with small wisper type fans mounted directly under the 572B's.  I assumed that whoever had installed them had done so for less noise.  Or maybe for better cooling.
Try a real QSO or two and see if it bothers you. 
Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: