The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifier for handheld  (Read 1570 times)
VA3JBO

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »

Hello All,

Is it possible to connect a Yaesu VX8R handheld to an amplifier? If so any suggestions? I asked Yaesu but they do not have one and they will not recommend an after market product.

Thanks

Johan

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »

Check the back half of most any QST or other ham magazine.  There are lots of "brick" amplifiers out there.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »

Mirage is a commonly available amplifier for 2 meters and 440, and I do believe they make an amp that does both up to about 35 watts.

Couple of things to consider:  Due to the usual HT antenna [almost a dummy load], they front ends of most HT's are super hot and are wide open to vicious amounts of intermod when used with a typical Larson 5/8 wave antenna.  You want to avoid using the pre-amp [if any] on the amplifier.

If you intend to use this mobile, I'd reconsider - I've done it and it's just barely cheaper by the time you get it all done and installed, than using a good mobile from the get-go.  Unless you get the amp free or for $5 at a hamfest, in which case, I am all wet.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 06:15:40 PM »

hi Johan,

when you add a brick amp to the HT, we call it
an HT on life support, power for radio and the amp,
cables, etc.

with the prices of mobile radios what they are today
you're better off without the amp unless your budget
it tight.

good luck with the amp or new mobile.

73 james
KF7CWZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »

I have a tight budget and got a Mirage 34B 35W. I got it for $45 on ebay. Love it!!!!
KC9QAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »

I purchased a 2 meter 40 watt Motorola amp at a hamfest last year. I use it with my HT in my Neon. There is no room to mount a radio without a remote face plate. I just plug in a speaker/mic and the HT sits in a cup older. I use a 1/4 wave on a mag mount (wax paper underneath) Works great and the whole thing fits in a small bag. I use rental cars a lot in my job and move it from car to car. I carry a few extra assorted fuses but I have not blown one yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: