The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-200 Input band switch needed  (Read 7959 times)
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

As I continue to resurrect this old amp from the dead, I find that I need the band input wafer switch for my SB-200 amp. Can anyone supply one for this project???

Dale
KJ4LCM
NC8T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:18:26 PM »

Check out Harbaugh he has the wafer for the switch...If you need the entire switch try Ameritron. Smiley
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »

Harbach sells only the tank / output switch, and Ameritron wont return email messages and the ads they have don't contain any usable info.

Thanks for the help, though.

Dale
KJ4LCM
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:13:04 AM »

W1QJ has many parts (removed to do his mods to SB-200 etc. to six meters).
Lou will reply to email  (GudGuyHam@aol.com   Look him up on QRZ.com)
I don't know what he would ask for a bandswitch or just a wafer but used is about the only way you
are going to find such today.
Allen
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

Dale,

I have discovered (to my dismay) that the only way to communicate with Ameritron (and have them communicate back) is to use the trouble tricket system, and check regularly for replies. They won't send you an email even if they think you have a million dollars to give them.

I do believe you are on the right track though, with your inquiry about such a thing here. You might try a WTB (wanted to buy) on eHam and QRZ.com classifieds.

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian K7ZRZ
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »

As I continue to resurrect this old amp from the dead, I find that I need the band input wafer switch for my SB-200 amp. Can anyone supply one for this project???

Dale
KJ4LCM

The blue input wafer from the Ameritron AL80 series, the AL800 series, the AL572, and the AL811 series amps will work with suitable hardware and a little easy work if you do not want something OEM. You would have to have some mechanical ability to mount it.

Since Ameritron probably loses money on the sale of small parts, don't expect them to bust their butts doing research answering an email about a Heathkit. :-)

I might have a wafer here also.

73 Tom
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »

W1QJ has many parts (removed to do his mods to SB-200 etc. to six meters).
Lou will reply to email  (GudGuyHam@aol.com   Look him up on QRZ.com)
I don't know what he would ask for a bandswitch or just a wafer but used is about the only way you
are going to find such today.
Allen

Allen,

Just sent Lou an email re: wafer switch. Thanks for the tip.
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »

Dale,

I have discovered (to my dismay) that the only way to communicate with Ameritron (and have them communicate back) is to use the trouble tricket system, and check regularly for replies. They won't send you an email even if they think you have a million dollars to give them.

I do believe you are on the right track though, with your inquiry about such a thing here. You might try a WTB (wanted to buy) on eHam and QRZ.com classifieds.

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian,

Thanks for the tips. I will keep trying til I get er done.LOL
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »

The blue input wafer from the Ameritron AL80 series, the AL800 series, the AL572, and the AL811 series amps will work with suitable hardware and a little easy work if you do not want something OEM. You would have to have some mechanical ability to mount it.

Since Ameritron probably loses money on the sale of small parts, don't expect them to bust their butts doing research answering an email about a Heathkit. :-)

73 Tom

[/quote]

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Ameritron doesnt show any pics or details on the input they list in the parts. They also advertise Heathkit amp rebuilding, so they should at least answer a request. Bad Martin!

If you find one in your parts box, please let me know.

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:44:57 PM »

73 Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Ameritron doesnt show any pics or details on the input they list in the parts. They also advertise Heathkit amp rebuilding, so they should at least answer a request. Bad Martin!

If you find one in your parts box, please let me know.

[/quote]

I'd have to see what yours looks like. I forgot the size, but since Lou does six meter conversions I'd bet he has a lot of pulls.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 03:24:41 AM »

GM Tom, everyone, Since I stopped converting the SB-200 amps a few years ago, the input wafers I had are long gone.  The only way I can possibly help Dale at this point is if he wants to purchase and input network assembly from an SB-220 which I have many.  The nice thing is that the SB-220 input wafer and the SB-200 input wafer are the same thing.  The problem is that all the ones I have are in network form which includes the entire switch with the coils and the chassis.  I keep them in there entirety because that is the way they sell for SB-220 amps.  If Dale wants to buy the whole unit and cannibalize the wafer that could solve his problem.  The whole unit is $50.00 though.  Lou
W8CQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 05:41:46 AM »

GM All,
If someone has a spare new or old input wafer laying around I will be happy to send it to the manufacturer I use for the output wafer and get a quote on having them made.  I just do not have one here to send.  If someone has one they would let me use, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff
KJ4LCM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »

GM Tom, everyone, Since I stopped converting the SB-200 amps a few years ago, the input wafers I had are long gone.  The only way I can possibly help Dale at this point is if he wants to purchase and input network assembly from an SB-220 which I have many.  The nice thing is that the SB-220 input wafer and the SB-200 input wafer are the same thing. 

Lou,

the input wafer switch is NOT the same between the 200 and the 220. I have the 220 switch, and it is only a 4 position switch. I need a 200 wafer switch which is a 5 position, double sided switch, so the 220 switch doesn't work at all.  I have everything, except for the correct input wafer switch. I guess if I had a spare I could cobble something up to work, but I only have the 220 switch.

So, I really do appreciate the help from everyone, but there IS a switch out there somewhere. There has to be.

Dale
KJ4LCM

W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 03:33:31 AM »

Dale, You have an SB-221 switch NOT an SB-220 input switch.  The Sb-220 switch WILL FIT and that is what I have in the network.  The SB-221 had 4 contacts as to eliminate 10 meters under the law.  The SB-220 input switch is the exact same as the SB-200 input switch.  I have a BUNCH of the SB-221 input switches but no one wants them because it has 4 contacts just like the one you have there. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

Dale:

During my last repair session with my SB-200 I accidently twisted off a contact that goes from the meter switch to the + of the panel meter.  I almost puked because finding a replacement switch is in the same catagory as winning a lottery.

After the panic and fit, I removed the broken contact from the wire, stuck the wire through the contact rivet hole and soldered it.... very carefully!  It works.  So, if push comes to shove, give this a try.  Just be careful that you don't overheat the rivet which might spring open the contact. 

Al - K8AXW

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: