The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHOULD THE TEST BE HARD  (Read 3594 times)
N2SLO

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »

NO on retaking exam: I hold two professional designations in Finance, which I spent months of studying to pass these tests. The burden to spend the time again would be crazy. Same for lawyers with the bar exam. Good luck on that one. I also posted that just because you have a piece of paper doesn't make you a good operator. That is learned over time having good mentors. The issue on whether to make the exam "hard" is interesting- but think about this. Amateur radio is a niche hobby and was on a serious decline until the relaxing of no-code. That is fact. I say have fellow hams monitor frequencies, point out bad behavior, and then report it if no action is taken.  

The ham radio test is extremely easy.  It's not the bar exam.  At least retest every 3 years.  Or get rid of the test all together.  In regards to your statement about fellow hams pointing out bad behavior.  I heard "on the air" someone who got a OO letter complaining about it.  The OO letter has the OO's callsign on it.  This "gentlemen" knew the OO's SSN address etc... and proceeded to broadcast it with 1000 watts on the air.  Then a bunch of his buddies got on the air for support and kept repeating the OO's name call, address and SSN.  

I say YOU monitor frequencies and point out bad behavior yourself and let us know it works out.  

Good luck.  
___________________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________
We do monitor the frequencies and point out bad behavior, and it does work. And I am in the NY/LI area- nothing to hide.  Not sure where you are going with this but I would respect your opinion more if you posted with a call sign. Oh I forgot- you don't have one. 10-4 good buddie?
WH6WJ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 03:57:55 AM »

It's all about rules and regulations as some has said and I agree.  The FCC could care less if you know how an amplifier works because you can look it up on the Internet.  Want to design an antenna hop on the internet.  Even the EPA 608 certification exam is all about regulations although you also have to know the technical side too.  I got the Universal certification and don't even work on a/c.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2018, 07:18:43 PM »

Once upon a time, the tests were harder. Did they produce a better quality ham? Not really - in fact, what the Tech students learn is stuff that is mostly practical for them to know. They should be able to safely and correctly operate a radio if they've passed the test.

Retesting would only deprive old timers who made it to the top XX years ago their licenses. It would not improve on-air operation.

I would change the Technician to require an in-person practical exam/demonstration, similar to the British system. But I'd also give them the British Foundation privileges - most HF frequencies and VHF/UHF, but at 10 watts. I just took the Brit practice test, and it's remarkably like our Technician in scope. Perhaps less technical and more practical operating questions.

Now that digi modes will get you DX with a decent antenna, 10 watts for beginners is fine.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »

The real question is, in this no-code requirement world what are the actual skills/knowledge differences between the license classes, and why?

Well, it takes more knowledge and skill to operate SSB on 14.166MHz than it does to operate SSB on 14.313MHz...   Grin   

You'd think the FCC might use transmitter power level to separate the different classes of licenses.  But they can't tell, at a remote listening post, how much power you're using (You running a kilowatt, or is it a directional antenna pointed at them?).  One thing that is easy to tell is the frequency the ham is using.  So they picked that to separate the classes of licenses... 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: