The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Hercules II: How can i adjust the OVERDRIVE Lamp?  (Read 3884 times)
DK8DX

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

Hi all,

i have the nice Amp. Ten-TEC  HERCULES-II. This is a very good amp but i have a little problem!

My OVERDRIVE Lamp come on at about 450W PEP Output. This is in my eys a little bit less!

I will bring out the good 500W PEP in SSB and the OVERDRIVE Lamp must come ON by about 530W.
---That was very fine for me-

So i have interess to adjust this little problem.

Who can tell me the right exakt way to solve this mistake in my nice Hercules-II Huh?

Thanks for your nice answer.
vy73 de Guenter DK8DX

PS:  Sorry my english is simple and you can send me your email direkt to  DK8DX@darc.de

N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »

Too many variables, too little information.

Just because you're getting 450 watts doesn't mean you're not overdriving it. 60-80 watts in is all it takes so if you're driving with 100, you could be overdriving it, in fact.  I wouldn't be in a hurry to assume the lamp is an issue or that there is an issue at all.

450 watts may be a reasonable output given whatever band you're operating on, the stiffness of the power supply, etcetera.

More information is needed.  Demonstrate there is a problem
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

Try R3 on the Control Board

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »

The Herc was designed to be a 'Ten DB Amp'....   ~50 watts in, ~500 watts out.  Fifty watts shouldn't bring on the Over-Drive lamp, although Phil may be exactly right in his suggestion. I run MY Herc by driving it to the 75 amp mark on the meter. That provides me with output in the range, while letting ALL output transistors in both the Herc and the Corsair run cool. I have noted that my Bird 43 output meter does vary from band to band, with 75 amps drawn, but that doesn't bother me a bit...HI HI

VY73

dm
DK8DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »

Hi Ham´s,

thanks for all answers!

Phil have reight, thanks very much!!

I have adjust der R3 (ALC) on the Control Board and all is OK now.

My overdrive lamp was come ON by 450W Pep Out by ca 40W Input SSB.

Now i have adjust the R3 (ALC) and all is ok for me.
Now the overdrive lamp come on by 530W, that is fine for me.

So i can give a drivepower by about 50W+ and the amp bring out 500W.

When the input power is to high, the overdrive lamp come on and take me the mistake.

That is all what i will -hihi.

Phil many thanks again.
Now i a very happy user with my Hercules II.

vy73 de Guenter DK8DX in West germany
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »

One word of caution. The amp uses MRF-454 finals. Real, true, honest-to-john, original MRF-454s are none obtainium, at any price! The 2SD replacements (there are four), don't work well without changing some of the bias and/or input circuitry.

The "light" depends somewhat on what the load looks like. If you think you're over driving it, well cut back. After all, who can tell the difference between 400 watts, and even 600 watts out?

DK8DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »

One word of caution. The amp uses MRF-454 finals. Real, true, honest-to-john, original MRF-454s are none obtainium, at any price! The 2SD replacements (there are four), don't work well without changing some of the bias and/or input circuitry.

The "light" depends somewhat on what the load looks like. If you think you're over driving it, well cut back. After all, who can tell the difference between 400 watts, and even 600 watts out?

Hi Alan,

thanks for the input.

My answer is, i drive the amp with not more than 500W PEP out.

So the amp do the job very fine and the overdrive lamp comes on at 530W.
That is for me OK.
73 ´s Guenter
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:44:56 PM »

"Real, true, honest-to-john, original MRF-454s are none obtainium, at any price!" ....Which is exactly why *I* would recommend driving as indicated by collector current. I wouldn't bet on the accuracy of the  Ic  meter, but the 75 Amp mark is easily monitored, and *if correct*, and if the loads of the four pairs of finals is 'equal'...18+ amps per pair should keep them cool....[I hope].   My Herc has been in use for many years now.....probably at least 15, so I reckon my method is 'healthy'............
W6LAR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »

I don't know about other Hercules II's but mine has a quad of MRF458 in the PA. I believe the original Hercules, not the II, used the MRF454's.

But anyway you look at it run it conservatively and you can't go wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: