The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose yoke on Vibroplex bugs  (Read 10634 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »

I think you will find points on each end of the pin which will be damaged when pressing it out.  Check with Vibroplex for a replacement pin.  I doubt if they've changed the dimensions of this pin down through the years..

Personally, I'd try to tighten it up without bothering the pin itself.  It must be noted that the assembly will have to come out to work on it. 

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 06:11:25 AM »

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, something to think about. I just realized the yoke on a 1916 Vibroplex is quite different than on the other Vibroplex keys I own! The trunion pin does NOT go through the yoke; the yoke is attached to the lever bar by a small small "pin". The "dash lever bar" (the yoke) is a bar parallel to the lever bar and "pinned" in. I will have to take high res pix and put them on my website (will take a few days); maybe then someone will have an idea about THESE yokes.

I did not realize they got "loose" from use. That is fair enough. I don't think I should punish a bug for being used; I think for now I will just study this design and continue to use it as is. The idea of washers is good, but honestly one can not even put a sliver of paper between the yoke and the trunion pin on the other bugs that have "conventional" yokes/trunion pins; it is not THAT much play!

But I'm still having fun. Now I am not so sure about the guy on the other end of the QSO!

paul
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 06:32:22 AM »

I have added a "Yokes" page with pix on my website. It under the Morse Code Keys section. Maybe someone can tell me if I am thinking about this looseness all wrong.

paul

http://k3stx.com/
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

Aw nuts, the loose yoke on my 1916 bug is no longer a problem. While cleaning the pendulum I DROPPED it and the thin lever bar spring broke!!! I nearly cried. The spring was nice and loose, sent 18 wpm with only one weight. I'll look for a new pre-1920 lever arm; very very difficult to rivet in a new mainspring.

Moral of this story: leave well-enough alone!

Paul
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:42 AM »

Paul:  Sorry to hear this latest development.  I had one just like that a few days ago.  Was trying to remove one of those little dinky control pots from a VHF transceiver when my finger put lateral pressure on a pushbutton and it disintergrated into five pieces all over the shop.

I hope you was able to resist the temptation to throw the %%$*^@ thing through the wall!
(I did but wanted to cry.....   Wink  )

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »

It is indeed a drag when these things happen, but whatyagonnado. It is painful to think of the bug as a "parts set", but... Maybe someday I'll find a pre-1920 bug with destroyed base/no finger pieces that I get get for a song just to have the pendulum. Or not, its only money.

paul
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: