The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit DX-60B manual anyone?  (Read 16691 times)
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »

Hello:

I just acquired a DX-60b from heathkit. I would appreciate if anyone has a pdf copy of the manual.

I cant seem to get it anywhere on the internet.

my address is VE2ITZ at RAC dot CA

Thanks and 73!

Juan
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »

http://www.vintage-radio.info/download/download.php?dir=heathkit&file=dx-60b.zip

Schematic only, but better than nothing..............

KE7BDI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »

Try this link

It is not for a DX-60B, but the DX-60.

http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=heathkit
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »

Thank you all for the links.

I basically need to know how to operate this beast.

I downloaded the dx-60 manual and i suppose there is not much difference between them 2.

I will give it a shot tonight and see if the thing does not go up in smoke.

I tested all tubes last night and they seemed to be in very good condition. I did a visual inspection and all seems to be in good clean shape. Whoever built it did a very good job indeed! The gentleman who sold it to me said he had kept it away for the past 10 years or so but last time he used it, it was still working.

Thanks again and 73 de VE2ITZ!
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »

There basically the same rig. I think the only real difference was the final tank circuit and the tubes used.

By the way that part in the manual about using a light bulb as a dummy load? Ignore that and get a real dummy load Wink

I loved the old DX60's wish I still had one. It was my first transmitter rig ever. I distinctly being rock bound and the eternal search for new crystals to expand my horizons  Grin
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »

There basically the same rig. I think the only real difference was the final tank circuit and the tubes used.

By the way that part in the manual about using a light bulb as a dummy load? Ignore that and get a real dummy load Wink

I loved the old DX60's wish I still had one. It was my first transmitter rig ever. I distinctly being rock bound and the eternal search for new crystals to expand my horizons  Grin

Thanks again for the info.

And yes, i do have a real dummy load.

I am really having a lot of fun playing around with this little rig. I am planning to gradually clean it up and change caps as well as putting it in good use. I also got a LAfayette tube VFO that was included. The fellow who had it had done some mod on the transmitter to relay between transmitter and receiver.

I have tested all tubes in it and all are ok. I Was able to fix my EICO 628 tube tester and  now I can test all the old radios which i have for bad tubes.

Thanks again and 73 de VE2Land!
 Smiley

VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

To keep you updated

I am currently getting 50 watts out on CW with this sweetie.

Never tought this set would do such power.

IS this like standard power from this rig?

Looks like i will have a blast on CW!

Cheers all!

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

I only mentioned the light bulb as it kind of brings back humorus memories of 'tuning' for the brightest light then connecting the antenna  Grin Those old rigs are pretty sturdy.

As to the power output Its technically rated to 90 watts.

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmdx-60.shtml

I have never ever gotten more than 75 watts out of a 6146. Then again I never had a brand new 6146 Wink

50 watts is more or less 'normal' for a tired old 6146 and not bad at all. You might be able to align and squeeze a few more watts out of it but if the final is tired it is tired. Expect the output to fall off some as the frequency gets higher.

How is the AM working?
VE2ITZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:16 PM »

I only mentioned the light bulb as it kind of brings back humorus memories of 'tuning' for the brightest light then connecting the antenna  Grin Those old rigs are pretty sturdy.

As to the power output Its technically rated to 90 watts.

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmdx-60.shtml

I have never ever gotten more than 75 watts out of a 6146. Then again I never had a brand new 6146 Wink

50 watts is more or less 'normal' for a tired old 6146 and not bad at all. You might be able to align and squeeze a few more watts out of it but if the final is tired it is tired. Expect the output to fall off some as the frequency gets higher.

How is the AM working?

I have not tried the AM mode yet. I got to prepare an old turner microphone that i got laying around.

By the way; Isn't the specification as 90 watts input?

That would mean output power is less. About half of 90 or less. Please correct me if i am wrong but i recall asking the question here once and the old timers explained that in the old times, the rig power was measured as power input and not power output.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Juan

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:14:55 PM by Juan Osorio » Logged
VA3AEX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:00:57 AM »

50W output is about what I get out of my DX60A -- 90W is the power input to the final.  If you haven't run AM before its very relaxing and well suited to rag chewing.  I'm relatively new to the hobby and have had a ton of fun with my DX60A on AM paired up with a vintage Ampro tape recorder mic, a Heathkit HG-10 VFO, a Knight R-100A receiver, and into a trapped dipole bent in a "Z" shape in the attic.  

Notwithstanding my poor antenna setup, mine works FB for local contacts on 80M (listen out for the Ontario AM group that hangs out on 3725 and currently most active weekend mornings); the occassional contact on 3700/3880/3885 athough night time band condx means running QRO is required; and the occassional contact on 40M.  I have not yet tried it on 20M.  

If you haven't run across it, a great web site is the AMfone site (http://amfone.net).  Lots of discussion/mods on the DX60 (and other rigs!) and a great place to get help.

Have fun!  73 Alex
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:08:25 AM by Alex Holden » Logged
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:01:53 AM »

SPECIFICATIONS—Power output: 90 watts peak, carrier controlled phone or CW. .... Power Requirements: 105-125V, 50-60 cps, 225 watts.

I dont really understand this spec. considering the following info.

The 6146B featured a new plate design that allowed the ICAS plate dissipation rating to be increased from 25 watts to 35 watts, a whopping 40%. As a result tube input could be increased by 33 1/3%! By simply plugging in a 6146B in place of the original 6146, and raising the screen voltage from 160 volts to 200 volts, (an operation that wasn't usually very difficult) a transmitter that originally had an output of 69 watts would now have an output of 85 watts

http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phys/latta/ee/6146amp/6146b/6146b.html

BTW you asked the difference in the DX60B... there is your answer Wink
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »

The rating on the 6146B was 90w input for a single tube, 180w for a pair.

My KWM-2A (a pair of 6146Bs) is rated at 175w INPUT PEP on SSB and 160w key down on CW.

The output is a nominal 100w on 80m through 20m; 90w on 15m and 80w on 10m.

This is typical of anything with a pair of 6146s.

90w in and 45-50w out is typical of a single tube.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »

As I remember the AM modulation in the DX-60B is low level screen modulation.  It works and it will get you on AM.  Just don't expect the signal fidelity that the plate modulated rigs provide.

Dick  AD4U
K4TLJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:52 AM »

A few easy mods to the AM modulator circuitry the DX60 works wonders for fidelity. Here are my mods. The feedback makes a huge difference.
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/DX60AudioChanges.jpg
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »

A few easy mods to the AM modulator circuitry the DX60 works wonders for fidelity. Here are my mods. The feedback makes a huge difference.
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/DX60AudioChanges.jpg

Just looked at your setups on zed.... I am green with envy !
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: