The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SBE SB2-LA amp  (Read 11054 times)
NR4C

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »

At our club meeting last night, a member brought some stuff from a "SK" to show/sell.  The widow wanted the locals to have first choice on the equipment.

Included is an SBE SNB2-LA amp.  Looks to be in good condition but dusty.  I would like to know what you guys think of this amp.  It is wired for 120V.  It has mot been powered up yet. 

It has no WARC bands.

What can you tell me about it?  Was it a 'good' amp or junk.  I have no tuner for more than about 150 Watts so would have to put in on a matched antenna.  How about CW keying?

...bc    nr4c
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »

It uses 6, 6JB6s, and you can't find them period! Even if you do, the chances of the working are very slim. Personally, unless you're a collector, I pass it by.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »

The SB-2LA from SBE (which became a division of Raytheon) is really cute but only covers 80-40-20-15 meters.  No WARC bands, no 160m, no 10m.  So its value is mostly as a "collectible" -- more so than as an every-day amp to use.

If it was treated gently, the tubes in it might be fine...but you'd really have to try it out to know.

It would be a good "find" for someone who already has the matching SBE transceiver, model SB-34, to make the "matching pair."
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »

Here are the facts as presented in Alton Brand's "Ham Equipment Buyers Guide", dated 12/1/72:

Introduced in 1967, price $259.

1000 watts PEP input on 80-40-20, 750 watts input on 15 meters.  Requires 60-100 watts drive to passive grid circuit.  Dual meters for plate current, RF output.  Built-in solid state 117V AC supply.  Built in antenna and control relays, internal blocking bias.  Uses 6 6JE6 tubes in parallel.  Hi-Lo-Tune-Operate switching.  Pi-network.  5 1/4 x 11 3/4 x 11 3/4"D  43 lbs.

The last piece of gear from SBE was in 1976.  I've never seen one of these amplifiers at a hamfest and I'd guess that not very many were sold. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »

I've never seen one of these amplifiers at a hamfest and I'd guess that not very many were sold. 

I don't know how many were sold, but they're not rare; they do show up at the swap meets around here quite often (in California); of course, this is where they were built and a bunch of hams worked there, so maybe that's why (the hams who worked there all had them and are now dying off/selling off).  We have a great number of Gonsets around here, too -- for the same reason!

(Gonsett was the engineer who designed the SBE ham rigs.  He sold to Raytheon later.)

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

This past Dayton, there were several SB34/SB2 combos. Most weren't worth the effort, but one was. Fact is, I'd say they were in as-new condition. The guy had all of the PSs, so you could have used them mobile if you wanted to. But... the asking price was easily triple the original list.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: