The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filtering output of invertor generator  (Read 3810 times)
MM5AHO

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

I recently bought a small generator for working maritime mobile. Previously I'd just run the boat engine to provide enough power, but thats noisy, and seems wasteful to runa 30 hp diesel just to get 100W RF out of my FT857 on board.

So I bought this generator, new. Its one of those that has a variable speed according to load, and an invertor to get the output voltage right, and supposedly at sinewave shape voltage.

But when I connected it up and tried to use the radio, the RF was endstopping.
Running the generator alone is OK, but as soon as I plug in a mains lead or any appliance, the radiated RF buzz is strong.

Opening up the front panel, (its called a suitcase generator) I find there's enough space to fit some filtering on the mains output, but I needs a good robust design.
Output is 230V AC at 50 Hz. Max output rating is 1000W, but I will be using typically much less.

I'm guessing that a capacitor across the output leads, and a torroid or two on each leg of these mains leads that supply the output socket.

Can anyone suggest a good design, with component values?

Geoff
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:15:26 AM »

i once found on the internet for honda inverter generators, a ham had the same problem.

the posting showed a plastic box with ft-240 type 43 ferrite cores 2 of them in series in a
common mode choke with all three wires wrapped around the cores.  he wrote that the cores
fixed the rfi.

richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: