The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 756 BLUE LINES  (Read 23593 times)
KB3NGA

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:17 AM »

Is it just me or does Icom need to address the issue around the 756 lines in the display? Is it a manufactoring defect?

From reading posts Icom stop replacing the screens then they started again. I guess they want to capitalize and profit off of there own defective product.

So the questions remains am I the only one that thinks that there should be a recall on 756 radio or am I being Stupid to think that I shouldn't want to have Icom profit on there defect?

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »

While not defending Icom's position on the IC-756 screens, understand the screens were made by a vendor and the defect showed up quite a while after manufacture. And not all screens failed. My 756 (knock on wood) still looks as good as the day I brought it home and it was one of the very first, since I was a Ham Store employee when they came out and we were given "first shot" at getting them. The vendor was the one that failed Icom and ultimately the Ham. The choice to stop supporting the screen failures had to be a hard one for Icom, as in the past they have been very good at keeping parts in stock for radio long out of production. To re-engineer the part would cost more than Icom could reasonably justify and being a niche market no part manufacturer would undertake the project either. The cost was too great with very little return on the investment. Remember you can not go down to the Chevy dealer and buy new parts for your 1955 Belair any more either.  All that being said there is not much I or anybody can do to remedy the situation.

BUT - The radio is still a viable item. I have down loaded Ham Radio Delux and I can operate the radio from the computer. If my screen dies I will still have a radio which will do all most every thing it would when I bought it, but I would dearly miss the Spectrum Scope. A used computer which will run HRD would cost much less than the new screen.  

AND - if your screen is starting to display the dreaded blue lines there are two things you can do to slow or stop the demise. One - make sure the radio is in a very dry enviorenment. I spoke to one fellow who gets lines only when he exposes his radio to damp weather. When it dries out, the lines go away. I suspect this only works when the lines FIRST start to appear. Once established they stay.  TWO - Turn the radio on and leave it on. They say if the radio never gets turned off the malady will not get any worse. I even read on one forum that a fellow "healed" his screen by leaving it on and now leaves it on and the lines have not re-appeared.

One of the biggest points is that the radio is now worth much less than comparable radios of the same time frame and dollar amount. I still like my radio. It has horrible 3rd order intercept numbers and is almost useless during RTTY contests on a really crowded band, but for casual day to day operating it works just fine. I'd like a new radio but my wallet and my wants don't always agree.

I know I have not "fixed" your opinion of Icom but I hope you understand a little better what happened and why.

Clint - W5CPT
KB3NGA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »

Ok Clint

Im not getting at that what I am taking about is this
Icom is replacing the displays now but at a cost of 375.00 for the display and about 125 in labor cost so thats 500 dollars to have you're 756 display repaired.

Here is my position I payed 900 dollars for my 756 from AES a year ago it had no lines and that was fine
now it looks like I have to dump close to 500 dollars into the rig to make it worth 850.00 so thus 1300 bucks for a radio that would only get about 850 if im lucky and without the display being replaced the radio is worth crap on the used market.

This is why I feel Icom should step up to the plate and erase this issue. Will they take a loss yes but will it help them in the future as in customer service what do you think. But my radio isnt worth the weight in metal right now all because i have 31 lines now i cant even get 250 bucks for it when I paid 900 a little over a year ago

BTW i own the ic-7000 ic-v8000 and this ic-756 im a loyal icom owner looking at a nice ts-850 that will never see a line issue in the display
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:14:16 PM »

Just curious ...

Did you buy the 756 new?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:45:50 PM »

Jason,
I realize that since you bought the Icom used (they weren't sold new a year ago) you have NO relationship with Icom. The radio was used, and the problems with the screen were well known when you purchased it. Your lack of due dilligence in researching the radios strengths ane weaknesses is your concern.

If I were to consider (and I am) buying an older Ten Tec radio I should be (and I am) aware that the PTO assemblies are problematic and most need to be repaired at some time in their life, often more than once. This fact will affect my choice, the price I pay and make me pay particular attention to the radio I am considering. If I buy a used Ten Tec from Joe the Used Radio dealer and HE tells me the radio is perfect, I have a gripe with Joe, not Ten Tec.

If you expect total warrentee coverage from the manufacturer, you MUST buy it new and from an authorized dealer. Any less, and you have no recourse.

These are facts of life and not open for interpretation.

Clint - W5CPT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:03:07 PM »

Clint:

You beat me to it. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3NGA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »

I was asking a question yea or nay. Hoping to bring out the folks who own the 756 radio and getting there thoughts with the problem they have I understand warranty and things like that but i posted this thread to get an idea of how people in my shoes feel about about the 575 dollar repair.My 756 was a gift from my wife for advanceing to general with code credit back in feb 06 she or I had no clue about the lines.
Sad thing  is when i do get the money scraped up for the display Icom will have stop supporting it and i will be left high and dry one thing for sure as soon as it is fixed im dumping it on ebay and going for a ts850 from kenwood
K5UNY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »

My 756 had multiple lines after several years use. I sent it up to Scott at MTS in Washington state and had it repaired with a New LCD display, around $450 plus or minus. Still using the radio today and have no sour grapes toward Icom, its a matter of when you own a radio crap happens and you need to get it fixed. You are Not a VICTIM, and shouldn't try to hold others responsible for the "crap" that happens to your radio years after the production run has ended, and by the way, the 756 is aged by today's standards.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »

The phrase that come to mind here is “buyer beware” and “throwing good money after bad”.  As others have mentioned the defective display on the 756 was well known and was address in subsequent models. To be fair, ICOM repaired a ton of displays after the warranty ran out but all good will periods have it’s limitations.

I have three FT-100D’s that have all lost their VHF/UHF finals. The radios are long off of warranty. I could sent them to Yaesu to have them fixed with the same defective and poorly engineered transistors or buy the transistors from Yaesu for $290 each and do the work my self. Either way that road is a looser. Because of this, Yaesu came out with the FT-857D, I wonder what happened to the A-C models.

Either way, the radio is only worth $300 repaired so I have a stack of HF only FT-100D’s. I use them for amplifier repair or loan them out for field day.

My recourse with the manufacture is to never buy a Yaesu radio again.
KJ4AMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

IC-756 LCD failure, lets take it to ICOM Japan  Reply  
by KJ4AMH on August 26, 2008  Mail this to a friend!  
From the sounds of things all the Icom reps at the distribution level
are giving everyone the same sort of run around, my self included. I
inquired at ICOM before I bought my radio and was told the the screen
failure was very rare and that the replacement screens were available.
When the lines began to appear, I called again and was told, every
screen would eventualy fail and that there were no replacements. At the
third call I was told refurbished screens were available on an exchange
basis.
I think it's time to take this problem to ICOM in Japan. This is
where I need help. I need email addresses of the poeple in Japan, up to
and including Mr. Iuoque himself.
I think we have a valid case, but time may be running out. I realize
that this is not a problem with an Icom part, Sanyo made the screens
for Icom under contract and are reluctant to correct the problem. Icom
took a lot of people's hard earned money, their name is on the radio,
hence I think it's their problem to fix.
I think all IC-756 owners with screen failures should email Icom in Japan, tell them how
much we like the radio and that we would like them to help us fix the problem.
I would appreciate any suggestions and help.

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »

REPLACING THE LCD DISPLAY IN THE IC-756
by Don Graham, VK6HK
http://www.qsl.net/icom/ic756/ic756lcd.html
==
The ICOM part number for the LCD display is:
Ref No: DS1  
Order No: 5030001420  
Description: DG041Z-5DC
Manufacturer: Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd.
Sanyo Part No: DG041Z-5DC

Note that the Sanyo part has been discontinued for some years. Richard Rosenberger PA7FA now offers a completely redesigned replacement LCD display module; visit his website for details, including installation instructions.

The ICOM part number for the LCD escutcheon (cover) is:
Ref No: MP43
Order No: 8930042810  
Description: 1876 LCD cover
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »

Icom is not going to invest any money to fix a problem on an 11 year old radio.

If you have a screen problem but love your radio....get it fixed.

If you have the screen problem but don't like the radio that much, sell it for parts.

But for cryin' out loud grow up AND QUIT YER INFERNAL WHINING ABOUT IT!!!!!!
NS7E

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »

has anyone tried when the first line shows up supper glue on the laminated robin  cable?
Arthur NS7E
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »

I know somebody who has fitted the replacement display from PA7FA to the IC-756, there is some SMD work to do but the end result is a working rig with a more reliable display.

Peter DL8OV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: