The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Sprint question  (Read 2446 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:50:42 PM »

Greetings all,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to contesting.

Anyhow, my buddy at work says that in "Sprint" contests, you have to change frequency between every contact.

I.e. You answer a CQ, do the exchange and the CQer has to move to a different frequency.

Is this correct?

73 de Donald
AE6RF
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »

The first thing you must do before participating in any contest is to check the rules. They will tell you exactly what is expected.

Check out eHam's sister site Contesting.com at (where else) http://www.contesting.com/

There are contest calendars with links to the rules.
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »

There was nothing about changing frequency in the rules of the "Sprint" I was thinking of doing.

So, there is nothing inherent in the word "Sprint" in a contest title that means to change frequencies.

Correct?

73 de Donald
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »

There are any number of short contests out there that bill themselves as a "sprint."  Each has their own sets of rules as well.

The one where the QSY is involved is known as the North American Sprint with a CW and Phone event twice per year.  (www.ncjweb.com)  There, when someone answers your CQ, you are required to QSY at least 1 KHz before you can work another station or 5 KHz before you can call another CQ.  If you answer someone's CQ, you get to hang around on that frequency for one more QSO - in effect it becomes a "CQ" frequency for you.

So it all depends on which version of a "sprint" contest you're looking at.  Whatever the case, have fun!

73, Mike K9NW
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:23 AM »

Thanks Mike,

Exactly the information I was looking for.

73 de Donald
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »

I might add...if you're interested in the NA Sprint but find the speed CW is intimidating, the Northern California Contest Club sponsors the NCCC Sprint every Thursday night through the summer to help new and old alike practice.  For details:

http://www.ncccsprint.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: