The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI INTO SAMSUNG MONITOR  (Read 18777 times)
N4XYZ

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Hi All
I have a Samsung SyncMaster B2330 LCD monitor in the shack.  The monitor has infrared touch menus.   When I run 400+ watts on 80 or 40 CW I get into the menus bad.  I have grounded the monitor frame, added ferrite on the power line and additional frrute on the video cable.  I think this monitor is like the old touch lamps.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

Thanks in advance

Dave N4XYZ
W5DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »

My antennna is very close to the shack.  Last fall, I purchased a Samsung monitor from Costco.  When I tried it while transmitting, I found that I couldn't use any transmitter power over 40 watts without the monitor blanking out.  The next day, I returned it to Costco and replaced it with an LG monitor that was a bit more expensive but which has worked flawlessly?  I tried clamp on filters but they had no effect.

I've heard of other people having the same problem with Samsung monitors.

Dunc, W5DC
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »

The first thing to do is to "threshold" the problem. Remove the ferrites. Increase TX power until the problem just occurs. Add ferrites with the power cord and the video cable(s) going through the same ferrite cores. Does the threshold increase, decrease, or remain the same? If the threshold increases add more ferrites.

N4XYZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

W5DC and WX7g

Thanks for the reply.  I got my monitor at Costco also and shold have taken it back but I have had it a while now so I don't think that is an option

I will try the threshold test to see if I can tell anything.  I think the RF is just getting straight to the menu board which is very sensitive.  I rapped aluminum foil around the bottom of the monitor which helped. 

Dave N4XYZ
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »

Samsung TV's have similarly poor immunity to RF.  Two ham friends returned their big Samsung TV's after several weeks "chasing their tails".  Both run amplifiers with triband beams at least 45 ft. in the air.  Both TV's went "bonkers" every time they used the amplifier on 20M.  The TV's changed channels, turned themselves on/off and reset some of their menus.  The problem was traced to immunity issues with the Samsung HDMI interface implementation.
The TV's were replaced with a Sony and Sharp and peace insued with the XYL's who were getting a bit "short" about not being able to watch TV during 20M DX hunts.

FYI,

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »

Samsung TV's have similarly poor immunity to RF.  Two ham friends returned their big Samsung TV's after several weeks "chasing their tails".  Both run amplifiers with triband beams at least 45 ft. in the air.  Both TV's went "bonkers" every time they used the amplifier on 20M.  The TV's changed channels, turned themselves on/off and reset some of their menus.  The problem was traced to immunity issues with the Samsung HDMI interface implementation.
The TV's were replaced with a Sony and Sharp and peace insued with the XYL's who were getting a bit "short" about not being able to watch TV during 20M DX hunts.

FYI,

Then please explain how my 40" LCD Samsung sits 15 feet (through the walls) from my shack and presents with NO RFI on any frequency. Additionally, it's less tan 50 feet from my antenna farm to the TV and there is no interference on any HF frequency, even when running a KW.

Your condemnation is based on heresay from exactly TWO cases and not from any actual testing. Poor advice, IMHO.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »

My neighbor purchased a Samsung 50 inch plasma the Monday after Thanksgiving.  My RFI went thru the roof.  The timewave ANC-4 will remove most of it on 40 and above, but not 75-80, the RFI level is very high.  I have two other neighbors several houses away and I can hear their Samsung Plasma as well.  They are far enough away that
the Timewave will cancel the RFI with the sense ant.  My neighbor that now owns the Samsung plasma, did have a 50 inch LCD, and the only RFI that i had was on 40 meters
when the set was off.  I fixed that problem with several snap on ferrites.  I am not going to worry about the plasma because I am moving within the next 3 weeks to the
county to 5 acres with neighbors that are 400 to thousands of feet away.

Richard
WB4BYQ
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »

Then please explain how my 40" LCD Samsung sits 15 feet (through the walls) from my shack and presents with NO RFI on any frequency. Additionally, it's less tan 50 feet from my antenna farm to the TV and there is no interference on any HF frequency, even when running a KW.

Your condemnation is based on heresay from exactly TWO cases and not from any actual testing. Poor advice, IMHO.

Sir,

I do not have to explain anything to you or anyone else.  The two hams I cited are RF engineers with 20-30 years design and implementation experience, not "amateurs" or inexperienced "dorks".  My email said, "FYI" and the proof was in the "pudding".  The Samsung's were removed/replaced and the RFI issues in both cases dissappeared.  Prior to the exchange of the TV's both individuals spent around 2 weeks investigating the issue.
BTW, at least one other person who replied to the initial post experienced issues with a Samsung monitor.  So,
perhaps you bought a different model TV which has no susceptibility.  There are however cautions people
can take knowing that the world of hi-tech electronics isn't perfect and TV's are not designed or tested in significant RF environments.  I'm glad your TV works without issue.

Greg
AB8AL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »

I also have a 55" Samsung LCD TV I have no RFI on my radio receiver and no issues with the TV from the radio.  unlike the 27"  it replaced.  I also picked up the Samsung surround and was surprised I didn't get into it.  The Smart ham tests the items as soon as them come in the house and returns it if there are issues.  Models and designs change so no one should be making cart blanc statements.  If there are specific models then post the manufacture and model numbers to avoid.

Terry
AB8AL
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

I am somebody who posted something on this same exact subject earlier. OK, you want model numbers, I have a model number. I have a Samsung C7000 model 240Hz LED TV that changed the input setting whenever I keyed up my amp on 40M, with the amp in another building, and the 40M antenna probably 75 feet away from the television! (From my earlier posting I have heard from two other hams since who had exactly the same problem with exactly the same television set).

After "ferriteing" everything in site, I called Samsung, then after getting put through the tech support mill they actually sent a technician out to my house. The tech was able to verify my problem, took my TV apart and determined that the issue was RF getting into the small PCB that has the touch sensor circuitry for the controls on it. He unplugged the board, and the problem went away. RF was affecting the touch sensors, just as they did with the old 3-way touch sensor lamps of the 90's.

The one thing I hear over and over again with all of the e-mails and forum lists is "Samsung"....  What does that tell you?
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »

That Samsung has a high market share. I have two Samsungs and two HP units no problem from any of them. All are LCD. No plasma units! I don't think that brand makes too much of a difference with plasma, the inherent noisiness of the plasma is very difficult to overcome. All the LCD monitors I have are quieter than the CRT types that I still own.

Since Samsung covers a large price range in its offerings, there are probably some that are much worse than others, and maybe some that are even in the best category.

Add the variables of house and antenna wiring and you have an ungeneralizable situation.

KF7CG
K1VT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

My Samsung T260HD shuts down when I transmit with more than several hundred watts.  I disconnected the video cable from the monitor and powered it from a UPS not plugged into the AC line, and the problem persists.  I suspect that RF is getting directly into the capacitive touch switches.  My neighbor (far enough from my house!) wants to buy this great monitor from me and I will buy a different brand monitor.   Jack K1VT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

Most likely the problem is you have high common mode currents on your feed line(s). Get rid of them and your problem will likely disappear. I have a 40" Samsung about 15 feet from the shack and no problems such as you describe, despite running a KW quite often.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5DC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »

I replaced the Samsung monitor with an LG and the problem went away, even when increased transmit power to 500+ watts from thirty watts.
Dunc, W5DC
K5USF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:21:08 AM »

I had a similar problem with my samsung monitor. My vertical is about 70 feet from my shack, but the radials run within 10 feet.  I made sure the monitor cables and coax cables had separation and I added a radio works current choke just outside the shack. No more problems.  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: