The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to make my first radio good and not break the bank  (Read 9364 times)
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »

Congratulations!

I use a slingshot, 1.5-2oz sinker, 10 lb test line, and a separate, open-face fishing reel for low friction. Shoot over the center of the tree, use the fishing line to pull over .065 trimmer line, then use that to pull over .105 trimmer line, creating a loop halyard over the ENTIRE tree. Attach a pulley where the 2 ends of the halyard meet, then rig the antenna through the pulley.

You get a fully serviceable pulley system *way* up in the tree and never have to leave the ground!

Crimp of 6oz of sinkers to one end of the antenna line after you have threaded it through the pulley. Rotate the loop halyard, taking the pulley, antenna line, and sinkers all the way up to the top of the tree. then, slacken the antenna line to lower the sinkers, threading this line perfectly down through the tree, back to ground. Hang your 8-15 lb counter weight on this end. Rig the other end of the antenna the same way in another tree, except tie off the antenna line at ground level such that the counterweight is suspended 5-8'.

Husqvarna .105" "titanium" line is available at Lowes for $35 a spool (690 feet!). Use wire rope crimp ferrules and their $27 "he-man" crimpers, sold on the same aisle.

Killer system. Been refining it for almost a year.

- - · · ·  M A R K · N 1 L O · · · - -
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »

Congrats Mark on passing both exams, and for going for making your own antennas (thats half the fun!) I might hear you over in the UK once you have your call sign and setup going on 20 or 40 or 80....

BTW - I'm not a climber but some freinds are; they recommended "The White Spider" to my wife as a Xmas present for me and I just finished it (I read a few books at once Roll Eyes)   What a great book it is. I can see where Joe Simpson got his inspiration from.

all the best

Scotty

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: