The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My complaint with some of the Big Gun's  (Read 38076 times)
KG0MN

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »

Over the weekend I was trying to work a new country for my DXCC award and it so happened that a number of like minded hams were attempting the same thing, Some of us had been trying for the better part of 1.5 hours to make a contact when out of the blue a west coast big gun comes on and gets the DXer's attention and this was the jest of the conversation.

"Hello OM glad to hear your booming signal on the west coast again today, when we talked here on 20 meters yesterday you were not quite this loud so I thought I had better let you know that you were really burning the tops off the clouds out here.  Then what followed was about 15 minutes of idle chatter with the west coast station doing the majority of the talking bragging about his 170' tower and huge monster antenna. Now if that wasn't bad enough he asks the DX station to say hi to his friend whom the DX station had also talked to yesterday.

Do you see anything wrong here? Not all of us have 170' towers and brag about how we can use 3KW if need be, some of us live in the midwest where we have to get past each coast to make a contact. If you have worked a station the day before and you are not passing on vital information why not politely keep your mouth shut and let others have a chance to work the rare one.  By the time the big wheel big gun was done the band was headed out and another chance to get the new one went out with it.

Just my personal opinion
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »

Do you see anything wrong here?

Not really. Apparently, neither did the dx station, or he would have cut it short.

Some dx ops actually do like to have a conversation sometimes. Some don't, but it's their choice.

What "rare one" was it?

73, Tom
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »

I feel your pain. Being on the West Coast (or close to it - I'm inland about 200 miles) I have to cross the ENTIRE country to get into EU. If you don't have an amplifier to compete with the BIG BOYS, maybe you should explore that idea. Granted it isn't the same as a 170' tower and monster yagi and amp combo but every little bit helps.

remember life is too short for QRP  Wink

Gene W5DQ
40' tower and C3S with a AL-811 but I fight tooth and nail in pileups  Grin

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »

remember life is too short for QRP 

The originality is just stunning,

NU4B/qrp
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »

Build your antennas higher and bigger, your power higher, your skills better and your skin thicker, and you will enjoy this hobby even more.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

Over the weekend I was trying to work a new country for my DXCC award and it so happened that a number of like minded hams were attempting the same thing, Some of us had been trying for the better part of 1.5 hours to make a contact when out of the blue a west coast big gun comes on and gets the DXer's attention and this was the jest of the conversation.

"Hello OM glad to hear your booming signal on the west coast again today, when we talked here on 20 meters yesterday you were not quite this loud so I thought I had better let you know that you were really burning the tops off the clouds out here.  Then what followed was about 15 minutes of idle chatter with the west coast station doing the majority of the talking bragging about his 170' tower and huge monster antenna. Now if that wasn't bad enough he asks the DX station to say hi to his friend whom the DX station had also talked to yesterday.

Do you see anything wrong here? Not all of us have 170' towers and brag about how we can use 3KW if need be, some of us live in the midwest where we have to get past each coast to make a contact. If you have worked a station the day before and you are not passing on vital information why not politely keep your mouth shut and let others have a chance to work the rare one.  By the time the big wheel big gun was done the band was headed out and another chance to get the new one went out with it.

Just my personal opinion

WON'T HOLD IT....MANY CALLING!!!!!.......73s and gud dx, and ....WON'T HOLD IT....MANY CALLING!!!!!....oh, and wanted to remind you again, don't for get, Martha and I will be in your country next month....and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING.....hope to CU on another band before hand and....WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING... your signal is much better than yesterday, or even last week, and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING......and give my best to the family and the dog and the animals out in your barn, and the village idiot,....WON'T HOLD IT, MANY CALLING!!!!!!.......and remember, we are on Flight 280 out of NYC, and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLLING.....and 73 and good dxing....and WON'T HOLD IT, MANY CALLING..........

Welcome to the world of the long farewell, and the ignorant axxhole that likes to hear himself babble endlessly, my friend.....and get used to it becauz like pile ups themselves, these type of lid operators are never going away.....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:05:07 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:37 PM »

WON'T HOLD IT....MANY CALLING!!!!!.......73s and gud dx, and ....WON'T HOLD IT....MANY CALLING!!!!!....oh, and wanted to remind you again, don't for get, Martha and I will be in your country next month....and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING.....hope to CU on another band before hand and....WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING... your signal is much better than yesterday, or even last week, and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLING......and give my best to the family and the dog and the animals out in your barn, and the village idiot,....WON'T HOLD IT, MANY CALLING!!!!!!.......and remember, we are on Flight 280 out of NYC, and WON'T HOLD IT MANY CALLLING.....and 73 and good dxing....and WON'T HOLD IT, MANY CALLING..........

Welcome to the world of the long farewell, and the ignorant axxhole that likes to hear himself babble endlessly, my friend.....and get used to it becauz like pile ups themselves, these type of lid operators are never going away.....

V
KA3NRX

That is hysterical, but sadly right on the money.

Since we can't give guys like this a blanket party (watch Full Metal Jacket if you don't know what I mean), the only solution is to name and shame these guys. Record the audio of this behavior and submit it to a site like Lids on the Air. http://lota.amateur-funker.de/

The same thing applies for all the classic bad behaviors like calling out of turn and DX cluster misuse.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:52 PM »

Do you see anything wrong here?

No. If the frequency runner wants to chit chat, he can. Or if he wants to make a QSO every 30 seconds, he can.

Don't worry about it and don't lose sleep.

Case in point. There is 1 St. Helena ham that has been on frequently, and even though other hams and I need this entity, he yaps, and yaps, and yaps. The pile is huge. I just turn the VFO.

K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

Question if any would care to answer...
 Would it be impolite to throw your last few letters of the your callsign in at a pause in the conversation?
Ive wondered about this for awhile....
Thanks & 73,
  Bill K9WJL
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

Would it be impolite to throw your last few letters of the your callsign in at a pause in the conversation?
Thanks & 73,
  Bill K9WJL

Very impolite. Happens all the time. A dx station can't finish a qso for people trying to jump in.

Plus, the last few letters of your call is not identifying properly.

Would you walk up to two strangers and jump in the middle of their conversation just to say hi to one of them?

I "5/9 thank you" as much as anyone, but the dx stations that are on frequently aren't "rare". Just because I haven't worked them doesn't make them "rare" either.

A lot of them have regular qsos with friends. Or chat with someone in a place they have visited. Yes, even in a pileup.

Their pileup, their prerogative. As someone else mentioned, don't lose sleep over it.

73, Tom
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »

To be clear, there are two different things being discussed here:

-The original poster was complaining about some big gun coming into a pileup and chatting away.
That is (in my humble opinion) totally rude and obnoxious.

-If the DX decides to chat with someone in the middle of his pileup, that is totally his prerogative.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »

Just my personal opinion

Some Big Guns like to brag, and some QRPers like to whine. Neither of these activities leads to effective DXing.

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:58:42 AM »

Oh, to be the perfect Dx'er....

Wait a minute, I thought Dx'ing was about bragging and whining. I mean, if you can't brag and whine, what's the point?

If we can't brag and whine, let's just shut this DX forum down now. Go through the history of the forum and remove all bragging and whining - what's left?

Shameless self promotion of one's products?   hahahaha Just teasing you Dave, don't have a cow.

By the way, if you haven't visited Dave's website, DX Lab, you should. Good stuff!

Now, I have to call some local DX'ers so we can brag and whine in peace.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »

The only thing worse than this, is when the frequency runner actually acknowledges that person, and calls him. Now, he has opened it up for others to interupt.
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »

Case in point. There is 1 St. Helena ham that has been on frequently, and even though other hams and I need this entity, he yaps, and yaps, and yaps. The pile is huge. I just turn the VFO.

Thats a no crapper. I have just given up on ever talking to this feller.  He REALLY likes to go by the numbers yet he is very good at missing 6s and 7s. 

Like most DX, they don't seem to understand that there is a HUGE geographical isolation between the "numbers" and just calling 1s through 0s does not take into account the propagation.  So he is busy calling 1s and 2s which he could chat with almost constantly, but he totally neglects the 6s,7s, and 5s which are a little more "rare".

These are the kinds of DX where I spin the dial and go searching elsewhere.

Brad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: