The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My complaint with some of the Big Gun's  (Read 38079 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »

Again speaking of DX hogs. I went to the online log of 4A4A. Just wanted to see if the site works. It does. I accidentally worked the 4A twice on 20 meters CW from my mobile. Well as it turned out,scattered across different bands and modes I have 8 mobile QSO's. They have guys that have worked 18 times.

What is with this ? Gotta have them on 9 bands all modes ?
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »

Again speaking of DX hogs. I went to the online log of 4A4A. Just wanted to see if the site works. It does. I accidentally worked the 4A twice on 20 meters CW from my mobile. Well as it turned out,scattered across different bands and modes I have 8 mobile QSO's. They have guys that have worked 18 times.

I have got to say this. I believed that my goal was to work once any entity I needed (new ones), send off for the card, and be done. Just one contact was all I was interested in. One contact, one card, one entity checked off the list.

Well, I found that I had to contact 4A4A, even though I already have XF4DL from 2006 and XF4IH from 2004. Just to be sure things were still working. However, I must now fall on my sword. I have contacted 4A4A five times on 4 bands in four days. They were so strong that I had to call. But, I promise I am done. No more. They don't need me and others need them more.

Looking back, it seems I did the same thing for 5K0T, K5D, S9DX, and ZL8X. I think I will just go sit in the corner now. Too many changes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:48:22 AM by AB8MA » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »

Why not? I don't see anything wrong with that.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »

Kind of a "pot/kettle" statement isn't it? Tongue Grin Tongue

If I can work them all modes on 9 bands, I will. Working them on 20m while mobile was no problem. Working them on 160m /m took a bit of trying.

They are there to make contacts.

I don't call when they are looking outside NA, or when they ask for specific call areas.

If it is a general "cq", and they aren't asking for "everyone without a 5 in their call only" I figure it's open to all.

73, Tom
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

The major DXpeditions almost always have leaderboards to encourage more contacts. The big guns are the only ones that can make it. At the moment, W7VS is shown as the top leader. JA4DND is the top JA. Top Spanish is EA1DR. It's the competitive part of DXpeditions. It's part of the game.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »

No. If the frequency runner wants to chit chat, he can.

Bingo.  There is always another side to the story.  Once I got lucky and caught a South Pacific station just as he came on.  I run 100 watts SSB into a wire.  He wanted to chat and it was fun to have a nice DX ragchew for a while but soon the Big Gun interlopers made continuing the conversation impossible with their impatience.

It seems obvious to me that the answering stations should honor the calling station's style.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »

I think he was being a DX hog. Now I could retract this IF he was getting info for an upcoming trip.

The banter back and forth with NI0C and W5DQ was interesting. I believe stations on the east coast and even the midwest have an advantage on polar paths over stations say in Texas. Just so you know, I have a #1 DXCC. It took a lot of time to get, when most of them were worked prior to DX-cluster.

Let me say this about 6 meters. The DX can be in your local area a few minutes and then gone. Sometimes you have to be waiting for the peak to work the DX station. It really is amazing to hear the activity on the 10 meter spotting net, and the DX signal just roll across the country by hundred miles or so every 5 minutes. This same feature occurs at times on the lower bands as well. It is not usually as pronounced as on 6 meters.

If the sun spot cycle gets 10 meters really rolling, DX will be lot easier to work. I can remember rag chewing with African stations while we used AM.

Dave,

Congrats on #1 DXCC. I'm getting there but still have a ways to go. I know what you mean about 10M. Back when I lived in AR and TX in late 70's, I remember working almost anywhere in the world 24x7 using a CB radio converted to 10M with only about 10-15W output on SSB. In fact my dad (now SK & previous holder of W5DQ) made his 10M DXCC using a similar setup during that same period.

Gene W5DQ
Mojave Desert in CA

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 08:50:04 AM »

Speaking of Big Guns......  VU4PB has been QRV two days now.  One NA station (W3**L) has spotted them 3 or 4 times on 20m plus other bands. Now, I did NOT say he was working them on 20m that often, but I dont know many guys who get their jollies SPOTTING the DX and not working them Huh. Sure, he has the right to work them a dozen times on each band. Some of us have other lives besides ham radio Grin. A$$holes like him are the type that get their coax pinned. Shame I dont live closer.......
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »

Speaking of Big Guns......  VU4PB has been QRV two days now.  One NA station (W3**L) has spotted them 3 or 4 times on 20m plus other bands. Now, I did NOT say he was working them on 20m that often, but I dont know many guys who get their jollies SPOTTING the DX and not working them Huh. Sure, he has the right to work them a dozen times on each band. Some of us have other lives besides ham radio Grin. A$$holes like him are the type that get their coax pinned. Shame I dont live closer.......

Gene,
   I think W3LPL has some kind of automatic spotting program hooked up. If you track what's getting spotted nobody could be that many places on so many bands in the time frame involved. Plus its almost continuous. And bar the door if your trying to contact a station the program spots. All I can say is - somebody make it stop, please! Why doesn't he try to help the sideband people for a while? Because its based on the computer reading code I guess, identifying the station, then automatically sending it to DX Summit. The rig must be set up to scan the CW bands. So now you can't even search the bands yourself for stations calling CQ or the end of a QSO or ragchew because this thing will have it spotted before you get there. What a headache!
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »

What?  W3LPL is an asshole because he spots DX?

Gene, your comment doesn't even make sense.  You can argue about the pros and cons of DX spotting networks, but I thought they were there to ostensibly help people find DX.  You're saying a spotting cluster should just be a brag site for stations you worked?  Someone is "getting his jollies" just becasue they spot something for the benefit of others?  It may upset you that spotting creates more difficult pileups, but that's just the nature of the beast.  I hardly think W3LPL deserves to have his coax pinned for simply making spots.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »

I think W3LPL has some kind of automatic spotting program hooked up. If you track what's getting spotted nobody could be that many places on so many bands in the time frame involved. Plus its almost continuous. And bar the door if your trying to contact a station the program spots. All I can say is - somebody make it stop, please! Why doesn't he try to help the sideband people for a while? Because its based on the computer reading code I guess, identifying the station, then automatically sending it to DX Summit. The rig must be set up to scan the CW bands. So now you can't even search the bands yourself for stations calling CQ or the end of a QSO or ragchew because this thing will have it spotted before you get there. What a headache!

Nonsense.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »

W3LPL (like many others) participates as part of the CW Skimmer "Reverse Beacon" network.

See e.g. http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=W3LPL&t=de

I share some of your frustration with DX cluster abuse patterns, but IMHO the Skimmers do a lot of good for both the DX and the locals and do not represent any kind of abuse but rather reflect a very egalitarian and open system.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »

Gene,

It's called a "CW Skimmer" in the "Reverse Beacon Network". See e.g. http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/

I think it represents perhaps the most selfless, giving, egalitarian combination of computers+radio to promote CW communication, that I could imagine. How you think it is taking something away from you, is kinda sad.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »

I laud Frank's work and experience and knowledge in the art of radio, but I gotta say, I'm getting a little tired of the unending stream of spots emanating from his RBN cluster. Once is enough, IMHO unless it's in a dynamic contest environment, in which case I love it. Also complicating matters is that it's connected to one of the biggest, finest antenna arrays on the East Coast, capable of hearing stations that are right at or below the noise level for "average" stations, thus setting off alarms for entities that are realistically unworkable for 80% of users.

I definitely see both the plusses and minuses of that system, but frankly I wish it would stop outside of contests.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »

"Gene, your comment doesn't even make sense.  You can argue about the pros and cons of DX spotting networks, but I thought they were there to ostensibly help people find DX.  You're saying a spotting cluster should just be a brag site for stations you worked?  Someone is "getting his jollies" just becasue they spot something for the benefit of others?  It may upset you that spotting creates more difficult pileups, but that's just the nature of the beast.  I hardly think W3LPL deserves to have his coax pinned for simply making spots."

Did I say W3LPL?      Smiley

I dont need a spotting network to help me find DX.  I DO use the clusters from time to time to see what propagation is doing. Sometimes the propagation programs are less than perfect and a quick look at the cluster does help. Gene
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: