The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile speakers  (Read 3503 times)
KC7YRA

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »

I have been using junk (read: CHEAP) CB truckers speakers for my mobile installs for the past few years.  But I am noticing that my ears are getting worse and I am having to turn the speakers up a little more and am getting some terrible distortion.  It is getting worse and it is a problem with all of the speakers on all of my radios.

So I have been looking at the MOTO speakers online.  The price is right, but I dunno.

So what are you folks using?  I mount my radios under the seats, so a separate speaker is a must.

Brad
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

If you look around ebay, you might find an old GE or Motorola two way speaker. They're 4 inch, which is big enough. They have a fairly large magnet, so their SPL/watt is fairly good. The one I use is over 25 years old, and is just fine. I think I paid $3 for it complete with amounting bracket.

Mounting under the seat pointing up is a good idea. This cuts the highs which helps lower the fatigue level from all of the hash we all endure.

K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

If you look around ebay, you might find an old GE or Motorola two way speaker. They're 4 inch, which is big enough. They have a fairly large magnet, so their SPL/watt is fairly good. The one I use is over 25 years old, and is just fine. I think I paid $3 for it complete with amounting bracket.

Mounting under the seat pointing up is a good idea. This cuts the highs which helps lower the fatigue level from all of the hash we all endure.

I agree. I found a Motorola with a built in amplifier (10w) on Ebay for $10 plus shipping. It came complete with a harness. The nice thing about it is that one of the wires in the harness controls the on/off of the amp. I used th accessory jack on the bacl of my 706 to supply the voltage. When I power the radio on/off, the speaker amp does the same. And it's PLENTY loud. And no noise from the truck (it must be filtered well).
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »

Greetings Brad!

I have been using this speaker(Texas Ranger SRA168CP Chrome External Speaker) for years and it always has plenty of volume and great sound. I first used it with a 10m HR2600 and now with my IC706MKIIG. As with anything YMMV. JMHO.

Wayne C.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:59:55 PM by WV4L » Logged
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:52:47 AM »

My idea is to mount a speaker inside the dash of my truck, then two in the headrest. I drive a Tundra, and it is available with some 14 speaker system. One is a center channel speaker for 5.1 DVD action that I don't have or want. I'll put some sort of amplified speaker there for HF, then two small speakers inside the headrest for VHF/UHF.

You know, in theory. Eventually.
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »

Does the audio system have an AUX input? Ever thought of using it for your rigs audio output?
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »

Does the audio system have an AUX input? Ever thought of using it for your rigs audio output?

That is certainly a option and I have used it when I am messing around.  But it is not uncommon to drive for 4 or 5 hours around here to get to the next town and the repeaters are EXTREMELY quiet (no activity).  So the AM/FM is my only source of sanity.  And using he AUX input disables the ability to listen to the broadcast radio Sad

Other than the monotonous boredom around here, that would be a great idea.

Brad
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »

You don't really want to mount speakers in the headrests. They're designed to break clean in the event of a crash.

As I said above, if you have enough audio power to suit the background noise conditions, then mount the speaker pointed up, under the drivers seat. This cuts the high frequencies, which makes listening easier.

KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

If the headrests slide on parallel chrome vertical rods, and you can be comfy with the headrest 4" above the seat, mounting the little MFJ extension speaker on the headrest rods works well. Cut the original mounting bracket in half, reverse the halves, and wrap them around the headrest rods. No problem in an accident - I was rear-ended, car was totalled, seats lay back from the initial impact, trunk compressed level with rear window, car front went into/under a small flatbed truck, air bags went off. Walked away, car totalled. Went to wrecking yard the next day, removed the radio and speakers, using it in the new vehicle. Speaker not in the headrest now, perfect spot for it with the radio CPU below the dash with the nice grille, where the factory subwoofer went. (Honda Element)
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »

6'5" here. Every headrest is always up 100% Smiley
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »

Everyone can, and sometimes do, manage to escape the awful truth. Try to convince the poor videographer who was filming his own death during the incoming tsunami this past week in California. Everyone escapes once in a while. No one escapes every event.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: