The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft KPA-500 amp info released by FCC  (Read 18408 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »

Let’s just cut to the chase. I looked and did not find the FCC approval number. Could someone please attach the URL to the FCC designator.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »

Here you go:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=290417&fcc_id=%27UTR-KPA500%27

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&tcb_code=&application_id=290417&fcc_id=UTR-KPA500
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

That was interesting. None of the PDF's came through.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 03:20:47 AM »

Well...here it is the "long way"

This is the link for the Equipment Authorization Search:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm   

Use UTR in the Grantee Code
Don't type anything in the Product code.
Use  Elecraft in the Applicant Name.

Hit Start Search

Good luck Smiley
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »

They came through fine for me...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »

Any luck getting to the PDFs ?
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »

I am glad to see this news as I have been waiting to buy the KPA 1500. I have passed on other amps in the hopes Elecraft would finally produce the Amplifiers I saw long ago at Dayton.

The only concern I have is; where is the SO2R circuitry which was advertised when Elecraft first announced these amplifiers to the public? If I recall correctly, it was going to be an option on both the KPA-500 and KPA 1500.

Has anyone heard any more on the SO2R compliance specification?

Rich, AJ3G
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

I am glad to see this news as I have been waiting to buy the KPA 1500. I have passed on other amps in the hopes Elecraft would finally produce the Amplifiers I saw long ago at Dayton.

The only concern I have is; where is the SO2R circuitry which was advertised when Elecraft first announced these amplifiers to the public? If I recall correctly, it was going to be an option on both the KPA-500 and KPA 1500.

Has anyone heard any more on the SO2R compliance specification?

Rich, AJ3G

The original amps announced were the KPA800 and KPA1500.  Maybe they had SO2R circuitry/connectors?  In any case, the KPA500 does not have this capability.  But it IS a nice amplifier!

Phil - AD5X
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »

Hi Phil:

You are correct, the original was a KPA800, and I distinctly recall a SO2R add on option. I have no doubt this will be a nice amplifier, as I have built a lot of Elecraft gear over the years, and absolutely love it.

Unfortunately, the lack of the SO2R switching will prevent me from purchasing this amplifier, as I was hoping to retire two Ten Tec 425's and a Puma 6K in place of one KPA1500 with SO2R.

Oh well, I guess it's time to revisit SPE and see when they are planning to release the legal limit version of their amplifier.

Rich, AJ3G
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 06:02:46 PM »

Looks like a nice amplifier.

If the IMD numbers are good I will buy one, 500 watts is enough most of the time. If you need more than 500 watts you need to start spending money on some better antennas and not  bigger  amplifiers.
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »

Well it's official, Elecraft now has these listed for sale.  Looks like the kit will be around $2000.00. 

Zeni - In the contest environment, when in a High Power Category, 500W is doing yourself a disservice, even with great antennas. That being said, my primary interest was some of the SO2R switching, which I thought would be wonderful for the contest community!

Rich, AJ3G
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

- In the contest environment, when in a High Power Category, 500W is doing yourself a disservice, even with great antennas.

It would only be about 4 1/2 db less than "legal limit"

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KO4NX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

I'll take 2/3 of a  S-Unit anyday, during a contest. The other item I worry about is overhead. I like to RTTY Contest, and even with the legal limit amps, I typically limit myself to 1KW to keep everything cool.

Rich, AJ3G
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »

It would only be about 4 1/2 db less than "legal limit"

True but that 4.5db for some odd reason on hard to reach DX makes a huge difference!
It should not as it's less than an S unit but somehow it does. Huh

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

True but that 4.5db for some odd reason on hard to reach DX makes a huge difference!
It should not as it's less than an S unit but somehow it does. Huh

There are a combination of effects.  4.5dB is a useful audible amount when things are REALLY tough.  I could have used an extra 4.5dB when I tried to work Clipperton TX5C on 160m.  They had me as N3MX and a very polite pileup was all standing by for me.  They could clearly tell that I was in there making a little bit of noise, because the timing of the exchanges was right, but they just couldn't get the INFORMATION that I was N3OX, not N3MX.

When you are in the clear and the DX can tell you're in there but not copy you, that's when small amounts matter.  I hate S-units (because they're meaningless in terms of radio meter readings) but let's say that half an S-unit out of the noise is a lot better than half an S-unit under the noise Grin

There's another issue I think too.

People put too much emphasis on amplifier power as a measure of success, and that attitude actually changes their willingness to try hard in pileups.  People spend money to get 1500W instead of 1200W.  Why would you do that?  Because it's POWER OUTPUT.  BIG WATTS.  It's very psychologically important to people so that they feel that they're as strong as they can be.

I really think people, especially small stations running barefoot, pull their punches in pileups because they imagine all these other people who are stronger than them.    IMO, this imaginary problem  has something to do with why all of these untuned verticals are popular even on the low bands.  It doesn't really matter what comes out in radiation if you can't run your amp full bore into the shack end of the coax.

A lot of people are giving up 2, 3, 5, or 10dB (depending on band) when they feed their 43 foot vertical with a UNUN and coax.   Someone with a 600W amp and a 43 foot vertical with coax+UNUN could be exactly on par with a 100W station with a loading coil wound from $5 of house wire, but how many times do you think the 100W station dives headfirst into a raging pileup on 80m expecting to win against the amp guys?

Well I can tell you... I did.  And I won.  Quite a bit.  Then I upgraded to a quarter wave vertical and 100W and still won a lot.  I've worked something like 150 countries on 80 and 120 on 160m with a barefoot rig.  You know, 80 and 160, the "amplifier mandatory" ham bands?  And my 160m antenna should be down about 5-6dB from a full size vertical based on a couple measurements of the ground loss.   Don't get me wrong.  An amplifier helps.  I went to 400W on Topband and things seemed to improve even though I didn't get as much confidence boost as I think others may get.  But I worked plenty of countries for Topband DXCC with about 25W ERP.  Despite this, even some of us East Coasters won't get on TB without cranking up the amp. 

---------

I think you really need to take a balanced view on this issue.  Sometimes a dB matters, sometimes it's foolish to try for it.

Humans can detect 1dB changes or even less under good conditions for testing that.  A decibel is actually chosen to be more or less a human-detectable change.  We're not much good at 0.1dB and 10dB is too much to be a useful smallest unit.  There's a lot that goes on on the ham bands that means sometimes 1dB or even 3, 4, or 6dB  is practically invisible or at least just doesn't make a practical difference (signals 30dB out of the noise and fading 15dB).  Then there are other times when 1dB is considered quite critical (VHF weak signal, like moonbounce).

I think it's silly to try too hard for 1dB unless you can find a lot of 'em lying around to add them up.  3dB is probably worth not being careless about but also probably shouldn't worry you too much.    Here's a simulation of 6dB differences, make your own decision about how much an "S-unit" matters:

http://n3ox.net/files/6dB/

The only difference between the three files is the overall signal to noise ratio.  I used audio editing software to make those using real band noise and my independently recorded voice.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: