The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac, Windows, or DOS???  (Read 8354 times)
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »

I have no driver hell and never have. If you do it is because you do not do your homework.

That's exactly the problem.  You've spent a lot of time doing computer homework.  A lot of hams would rather be on the air than doing computer homework.

And for people who really want to put in a lot of time doing computer homework, I recommend a Linux box, or a pre-configured certified BSD Unix machine (guess which major computer vendor ships those by the millions?).
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »

I have no driver hell and never have. If you do it is because you do not do your homework.

That's exactly the problem.  You've spent a lot of time doing computer homework.  A lot of hams would rather be on the air than doing computer homework.

And for people who really want to put in a lot of time doing computer homework, I recommend a Linux box, or a pre-configured certified BSD Unix machine (guess which major computer vendor ships those by the millions?).

No not true. I know were to find solutions and I would always check for device support in OS before I would buy it. I used to use OS2 and NT4 in 90's and know how to find solutions. It does not take much homework to find out if a device is properly supported before you buy it.

I would not wish a pre-configured Linux box to home use. Those that ship are not going to homes and not sure it is by millions either. Linux lacks a good universal GDI. Standardized GDI and app support is why Windows grew so much. Like it or not WinDoze is best game in town by default and app support for it.  Until another OS can do this WinDoze is it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »

Buy a cheap used Windows XP machine, I know its old and folks don't like using old things, but not much goes wrong with XP and if it does you have system restore, and that is worth money !

G0GQK
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »

1)  Is it realistic to use a Mac for what I want?

2) Is there a reference to current approaches for someone who has been away from it for 15 years and has no clue as to what is going on?

Thanks es 73

Ken

CocoaModem is what you want.  I run it with a USB interface to my ic7000
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »

Buy a cheap used Windows XP machine, I know its old and folks don't like using old things, but not much goes wrong with XP and if it does you have system restore, and that is worth money !

G0GQK

I would advise against this (XP) because it will not longer be supported by MS in a few years. There will be no more service packs for it and limited updates too. I would suggest at least a Vista box. Vista SP2 is very solid as long as you run 32bit version of 2 gig minimum and 64 bit version on 4 gig minimum. About some things it is less fussy than Win7 about drivers too. You will soon see declining legacy support for XP drivers too soon.  Myself unless it is a little Netbook I will not buy or build anything 32 bit anymore.

DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »

Yes Xp machines (some great ones with serial ports on them) can be very stable and fast for a million things. And like said above, max out the specific RAM for it and then disable swap. Otherwise you slow your comp down to your hard drive speed (can upgrade to faster HD also!).

Only a handfull of programs will have a problem without having a swap, but it's pretty rare and shows how poor their programing was.

You can always set up a duel boot with linux and windows as well.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »

You can always set up a duel boot with linux and windows as well.

Actually you do not need dual boot. Boot 64 bit Vista or Win7 and you can also other OS's at same time in separate virtual machines.

AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »

I run a Dell XPS-410 with a DuoCore and Windows 7 Ultimate. I upgraded to Win7 in December from XP and find that Win7 is by far the best OS that MS has put out so far. It finds drivers automatically, it has yet to crash on me and it kicks butt. I had a Mac a few years ago but the cost of software was killing my Ham Radio budget. I added a 4 port serial card to the Dell computer that runs my Radio, SteppIR and CW keying on my station without a problem. I have a Signlink USB for the digital modes. For my station software I run Ham Radio Deluxe, HRD Label (Prints envelopes and QSL's from the HRD Log) and N1MM contest program these are all free programs. You can't get that for a MAC. So if you want to Pay a Lot of Money for hardware and software then buy a Mac. Id did play with Linux for a while but found the user interface sucked and went back to Windows XP.
 So here are the choices
Windows = Lots of inexpensive/free programs and very reasonably priced hardware.
Mac =  Expensive Hardware and programs (Some free but very very limited)
Linux = Reasonably priced hardware and free software including the OS but user interface is clunky and you need to be a computer programer to get things to work right (at least that's what I found 4 years ago when I tried it)

Just my 2 pennies worth
Roland AH6RR
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: