The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A way to confirm articles offered for sale probably do exist  (Read 14268 times)
G8WRB

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:53:10 AM »

With all the scammers claiming to have items to sell that they do not have, here's an idea which will help verify of items offered for sale/swap actually exist, or are just scams.

1) Ask for a number of decent quality photos of the item. They can easily get a photo of such an item from the web, so it does not prove they have the item, but would indicate they have a digital camera. The "decent quality" will allow you to evaluate the condition.

2) Then ask for a photo of the same item with a few other items in the picture, such as a telephone, roll of insulation tape, item of clothing or other household items. (Do NOT pick the items I have suggested - just pick some random common items yourself.)

Anyone with a digital camera and the real article could produce a photo quickly, but it would be very hard for a scammer to do likewise. They would have to be pretty good with photo editing software like Gimp or Photoshop to get all those items on a photo and it look realistic. They can't say "sorry, I don't have a digital camera, as step #1 would confirm they do"

It's not 100% foolproof, but would be a way to confirm with a high degree of confidence the items exist if you are at all suspicious.

Of course, paying by a safe means is essential. Western Union is out.

I appreciate this is more of a pain for sellers, but I think they have to accept that with so many scams on the internet, buyers rightly need to be vigilant.

Perhaps if the moderator feel this is worthwhile, it could become a "sticky" item, so people see it easily.

Dave, G8WRB.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:31:44 AM »

When asking for photographs of equipment, insist on the front page of a current newspaper, FROM THE SELLER'S TOWN, be in the photograph.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »

Either that or a printed e-mail from yourself--it is seldom that a person has a computer that doesn't have a decent printer.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

When asking for photographs of equipment, insist on the front page of a current newspaper, FROM THE SELLER'S TOWN, be in the photograph.

I did that, they included a hostage picture for someone they were holding for ransom. <j/k>. Last time I will buy a radio from Pakistan.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KD5VHF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

Either that or a printed e-mail from yourself--it is seldom that a person has a computer that doesn't have a decent printer.
I don't have a printer that works. I don't ever print anything and the ink dries up so just because you have one, don't assume everyone has or needs one.
 The picture idea is a good one but the newspaper idea is not. Remember not everyone lives in a city and gets a newspaper. The little local rag here is not worth paying for.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:25:08 AM »

I did that, they included a hostage picture for someone they were holding for ransom. <j/k>.
Last time I will buy a radio from Pakistan.
Now THAT'S funny!
THC1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »

Instead of a newspaper a piece of mail such as electric or gas bill or bank statement
showing same name & address where the seller wants payment sent.
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »

This is great. Common sense ............ but how often do we lack that and over look the obvious or easy stuff? I can hear a host of scammers collectively saying "Oh poop ......... they broke the code"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: