The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritrons as kits?  (Read 13099 times)
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 11:25:41 AM »

Absolutely no argument from me on that assessment either, Tom. 

Higher sales volume equals all that goes along with it. 

Still, I think the QA and QC of the Ameritron (and MFJ stuff in general) could stand improvement. 

The ubiquitous solder-joint-that-never-gets-soldered alone is enough example AFAIC. 

But you are the *design engineer* and  my own experience along the same lines with different electronic products has shown me what can happen to my hard work when the production department people get done with it.  - If I had thought that a cheap surface mount ceramic coupling cap would have passed the radar vid sig, I wouldn't have specified the silver cap there.  But then the production manager guy figures that "point one is point one is point one microfarad" - and his mistakes get replicated a few thousand times before I get the phone call from the field, right? 

That said, the ham market has GOT to be the worst of all to deal with, my hat's off to anyone who even tries...

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:29 PM »

Ameritron is a separate facility, and has different people. In theory what happens at one place should not affect the other.

From actual data it looks like about 2-3% of products sold require support of some type. This also includes operator error and shipping damage. It's much higher on brand new things, but pretty stable on long running products.

On Internet, especially when we throw in people who never even have a problem (or own a unit) but complain, it can look much higher.

I'm a little unpleased with solder joint appearance since the lead-free solder started being used. It always looks cold, but I've never tried to figure out why.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: