The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SignaLink USB for dummies?  (Read 20643 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »

I would like the software to control the radio without having to hit the SEND button each time I TX a message. I don't know if that is possible with this model radio (Kenwood TS-570D).

Been doing it for over 10 years with my 570 WITHOUT having to hit send button and for nearly last two years with MultiPSK too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »

I would like the software to control the radio without having to hit the SEND button each time I TX a message. I don't know if that is possible with this model radio (Kenwood TS-570D).

Been doing it for over 10 years with my 570 WITHOUT having to hit send button and for nearly last two years with MultiPSK too.

Great!  what's the secret?   Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »

Well I am not using a USB signal link. I do enable PTT control in MultiPSK. Domeone suggested that Signal Link generates PTT control from VOX in unit. You likely have not found correct setting in software for your configuration.  I scanned over online manual. Are you getting a PTT light on Signal Link unit when you hit send in software?

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »

Are you getting a PTT light on Signal Link unit when you hit send in software?

No, but I am getting out because I had someone answer my CQ.  However I was too stupid to figure out how to answer quick enough.  I got that end figured out now too..   Cheesy

I'll look for the PTT setting in Multipsk
JEREMYB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »

You might not have enough audio drive to trip the VOX circuit
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up. I find that a questionable solution and good reason for me not to consider one.  I prefer full PTT control via a virtual com port.

What is "full PTT control"? The Signalink-USB grounds the radio's PTT line - how can you get any better control than that? Windows sounds don't go to the Signalink so you never have a chance of transmitting those sounds. I've been using the Signalink PTT for years and never had an issue with it - its not a questionable solution to me. No need to waste a com port on PTT.

Most software allows you to select "none" for the PTT serial port - that's what should be selected when using a SignaLink-USB.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »

I gave up on MultiPSK.

I went with HRD.

Now having fun configuring it instead..  Shocked
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up. I find that a questionable solution and good reason for me not to consider one.  I prefer full PTT control via a virtual com port.

What is "full PTT control"? The Signalink-USB grounds the radio's PTT line - how can you get any better control than that? Windows sounds don't go to the Signalink so you never have a chance of transmitting those sounds. I've been using the Signalink PTT for years and never had an issue with it - its not a questionable solution to me. No need to waste a com port on PTT.

Most software allows you to select "none" for the PTT serial port - that's what should be selected when using a SignaLink-USB.

With Signal link PTT keying control is generate by device when sound is applied. When you have a virtual com port, your software can directly control PTT functions of rig independent of sound. I have noticed that typically when I copy someone using a signal link that unless they pad a few blank characters or ad a preamble at beginning of transmission, the first letter or so does not print because of VOX/PTT delay in device.

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

[
With Signal link PTT keying control is generate by device when sound is applied. When you have a virtual com port, your software can directly control PTT functions of rig independent of sound. I have noticed that typically when I copy someone using a signal link that unless they pad a few blank characters or ad a preamble at beginning of transmission, the first letter or so does not print because of VOX/PTT delay in device.

thats good to know.  thanks.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19:40 AM »

The PSK31 protocol automatically inserts a preamble, a string of zeros (81 I think), at the start of every transmission. That should be plenty long enough to activate the VOX circuit. I've run with a home made interface that included a VOX circuit and now the SignaLink-USB and never noticed any characters being dropped.

There are other possibilities for dropped characters such as the AFC taking time to adjust to a slightly different transmit frequency. It is not unusual for a station to come back on a slightly different frequency because his AFC and lock made minor frequency adjustments during receive. It all depends on whether he has his Rx and Tx frequencies locked together and how much offset there may be between Tx and Rx frequencies on his transceiver.

I don't think you can blame the VOX for dropped characters unless you make some delay measurements under controlled conditions. As I said, in all the work I've done with VOX circuits for PSK31 I've never run across a delay issue.

By the way, the newer Small Wonder Labs PSK31 transceivers now use VOX control.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »

I gave up on MultiPSK.

I went with HRD.

Now having fun configuring it instead..  Shocked

I'd recommend starting with Digipan instead. It's much easier to learn and configure for the purpose of getting your rig, Signalink, and computer all working together smoothly.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »

I don't think you can blame the VOX for dropped characters unless you make some delay measurements under controlled conditions. As I said, in all the work I've done with VOX circuits for PSK31 I've never run across a delay issue.

It was not on my end because I only saw it working a Signal Link station. By design I feel that VOX is not the best choice here but is the simplest to implement. It was not a AFC issue. Actually I was kinda surprised to learn that it does not use a virtual com port but they likely wanted to keep simple but it lack truly positive control. 

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »

hi,

I use the mic connector with my signalink sl1+

here is some info from a member of the ts-570 yahoo group

you may need to set the digi levels with menus 33 and 34.
I use a SignaLink USB and mine are 1 and 5 respectively.

73 james
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »

If you have a proper cable for the SignaLink, it will control the TS-570 "push-to-talk" function.  When MultiPSK is producing output, the SL will put the rig into XMIT mode to send it.

I don't know MultiPSK.   If it is working like this:

. . . Enter text into an input area;

. . . Press the "SEND" key to send the text.

there's probably a way to keep the input area "alive" as you type.

I usually suggest that people start with Digipan software.  It only runs PSK31, but it's the simplest digital-mode software around, it's free, and it's fairly easy to set up.   It's easy to get lost with MultiPSK and "fldigi" and other multi-mode programs.

Charles

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »

If you have a proper cable for the SignaLink, it will control the TS-570 "push-to-talk" function.  When MultiPSK is producing output, the SL will put the rig into XMIT mode to send it.

I don't know MultiPSK.   If it is working like this:

. . . Enter text into an input area;

. . . Press the "SEND" key to send the text.

there's probably a way to keep the input area "alive" as you type.

I usually suggest that people start with Digipan software.  It only runs PSK31, but it's the simplest digital-mode software around, it's free, and it's fairly easy to set up.   It's easy to get lost with MultiPSK and "fldigi" and other multi-mode programs.

Charles

thanks.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: