The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD / SignaLink USB / Kenwood / and Digital Master 780 ???  (Read 5288 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »

I gave up on trying to get MultiPSK to work with the Signalink.

I believe  I have made a bit more progress with HRD.  I've gotten Digtial Master 780 to drive the Signalink PTT!!!  Whoo HOoo!

However,  Each time HRD starts it tries to connect via a COM port to my radio.  I have no such interface between the two.  Hence I get no siginal into Digital Master 780.

I've started the Listener in HRD (tools>IP Server) which is a localhost, the current computer I'm on.  I assume this is correct?

Do I need to go back to a 30 year old technology (Serial Ports and COM1)  to get this to work?  I guess I thats the only wat to get the radio to communicate with the computer, but I thought the radio would communicate with the computer via the SignaLink usb? 

What am I missing besides perhaps a Serial cable?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:07:21 PM by WALTERB » Logged
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »

SignaLink Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbfaq.htm

#3) Can I use the SignaLink USB with HRD and similar programs that offer radio control?
Yes, but only for digital operation (PSK31, SSTV, etc.). 
If you want to use the program's radio control features, then (as noted above) you will need  a separate CAT interface.

SignaLink Troubleshooting FAQ
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbts.htm

QRZ HRD Support Forum:
http://forums2.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?44-Ham-Radio-Deluxe-HRD
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »

SignaLink Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbfaq.htm

#3) Can I use the SignaLink USB with HRD and similar programs that offer radio control?
Yes, but only for digital operation (PSK31, SSTV, etc.). 
If you want to use the program's radio control features, then (as noted above) you will need  a separate CAT interface.

SignaLink Troubleshooting FAQ
http://www.tigertronics.com/slusbts.htm

QRZ HRD Support Forum:
http://forums2.qrz.com/forumdisplay.php?44-Ham-Radio-Deluxe-HRD

I have the Signalink interface between it and the Kenwood.   Its a CAT5 Network jack that plugs into the Signalink and a 13 pin round connector that plugs into the Kenwood.  Is this what is meant by a CAT connector?

thanks
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »

The "CAT" connector is the serial port on the radio.  You need a 9 Pin STRAIGHT THROUGH (pin1 connects to pin1 and so on) cable to connect the PC's serial port (hardware or USB virtual) to the radio.  I have used this setup with the Kenwood ARCP software, HRD, MixW, NBEMS, Digipan, etc. to control/monitor my TS2000(X).
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:11:59 AM »

The "CAT" connector is the serial port on the radio.  You need a 9 Pin STRAIGHT THROUGH (pin1 connects to pin1 and so on) cable to connect the PC's serial port (hardware or USB virtual) to the radio.  I have used this setup with the Kenwood ARCP software, HRD, MixW, NBEMS, Digipan, etc. to control/monitor my TS2000(X).

Ok, thanks.

I just asked my HW guy at work if he had one lying around.  He looked at me like I had asked him for Ox yoke for a covered wagon.  Grin

Probably something I'll have to order. I doubt Office Depot still has them.

thanks again.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

If you can't find one locally, here's one for $3.95:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016SMQHU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00066HP2E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11ZX0W49XCVY7CSFM3KY

Or if you find a pile of serial DB-9 cables laying around
you can take your DVM and check contuity through both ends
pin by pin.
It helps a LOT of you have a "Male DB-9 to Solder Lug"
thingy!"
 Grin Otherwise you have to push an old resistor lead into the
female end pin holes. Not real reliable & PITA!
73, Ken  AD7KA
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:38 AM »

"CAT" = Computer Automated Transceiver. It's a means to permit computer control of a variety of transceiver controls like frequency, mode, etc. It normally occurs via a serial port interface on the computer. Icom calls it CI-V, for Computer Interface Five. This normally has nothing to do with transmitting digital data via a sound card or sound card interface.

The SignaLink-USB presents itself to the computer as an external sound card. It sends and receives digital mode audio signals (tones) to the transceiver and is controlled via the digital mode software running on the computer. It contains a circuit that keys the transceiver PTT line during the time that the SignaLink is sending audio tones to the transceiver. The SignaLink-USB is totally independent of the CAT or CI-V connection on the transceiver and is unable to control frequency, mode, etc.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »

"CAT" = Computer Automated Transceiver. It's a means to permit computer control of a variety of transceiver controls like frequency, mode, etc. It normally occurs via a serial port interface on the computer. Icom calls it CI-V, for Computer Interface Five. This normally has nothing to do with transmitting digital data via a sound card or sound card interface.

The SignaLink-USB presents itself to the computer as an external sound card. It sends and receives digital mode audio signals (tones) to the transceiver and is controlled via the digital mode software running on the computer. It contains a circuit that keys the transceiver PTT line during the time that the SignaLink is sending audio tones to the transceiver. The SignaLink-USB is totally independent of the CAT or CI-V connection on the transceiver and is unable to control frequency, mode, etc.

thanks!
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »

Ok,

I got the DB9 Serial cable hooked up to the TS-570D and my Windows computer.  Running Ham Radio Deluxe.  I've tried various speeds 8,N,1, and I have set the menu #35 setting to 9600, one stop bit but the HRD software can't seem to connect to the radio.

Any suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: