The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SignaLink USB (Next Gen)  (Read 5401 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »

I’m not a Hardware guy, but if I were designing the next generation of Signalink I would replace the RIG specific wiring and jumpers with a set of external Dip switches.  Something like this.

http://www.kawal.net/usa%20dip%20switches.jpg

Any thoughts?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »

When you uses data ports on rigs there is not that much difference in pin out between rigs. A adapter is a better solution. With my Rog Blaster Plug and Play its mini DIN will plug directly into my TS480. It will also do so with several Icoms. I use a pig tail adapter to convert it to regular DIN that my 570 uses. No changes needed to Plug n Play. What I would like to see them do is add a virtual com port for software PTT control. They can do this either by adding a second USB port/cable to rig or build a USB hub into device so that it can have two USB circuits inside. One for sound and other for PTT control.   

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »

Dip switches could not be used to establish the cross-connections that are often needed for a specific radio.  And, if you are using a radio data port, you already have a PTT line available that the SignaLink keys using VOX.  No real need for a hardware PTT.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

Dip switches could not be used to establish the cross-connections that are often needed for a specific radio.  And, if you are using a radio data port, you already have a PTT line available that the SignaLink keys using VOX.  No real need for a hardware PTT.

again, I'm not a hardware guy but how would dip switches not work but a handful of small 1 inch wires attached in various configurations work?  Wouldn't the dip switches just replace the wires?

I'm talking about replacing this (see link)
http://www.tigertronics.com/graphics/jumpers.jpg

with a dip switch that is external. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:29:22 AM by WALTERB » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

I think that TigerTronics now supplies a pre-wired header when you order a pre-wired cable for your radio. That's even better than DIP switches because you just plug it in and you are ready to go for your radio.

DIP switches absolutely will work but it could take a number of them in order to create the cross-overs. That drives cost and PC board size. When I configured my SignaLink I purchased a header from Mouser and soldered the jumpers in place on the work bench. Now I can just unplug it and install a new header if I change radios.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

I think that TigerTronics now supplies a pre-wired header when you order a pre-wired cable for your radio. That's even better than DIP switches because you just plug it in and you are ready to go for your radio.

DIP switches absolutely will work but it could take a number of them in order to create the cross-overs. That drives cost and PC board size. When I configured my SignaLink I purchased a header from Mouser and soldered the jumpers in place on the work bench. Now I can just unplug it and install a new header if I change radios.

thats good to know.   I realize this stuff is made for ham opertators but imaging if Apple sold its iPod and you had to take each one apart with a screwdriver and re-wire it so it would work with a MAC, PC, Linux, etc.   

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

DIP switches are not without their problems, especially if you are not buying top of the line gold plated ones in order to keep costs down. User's don't always get the dip switch fully locked in one side or the other and can end up with intermitants, etc. In the SignaLink case with possible cross-overs, imaging what happens if a user accidentally configures + voltage and ground on the same pin (smoke).

Some mfgs have simply used larger multi-pin connectors for the radio cable. They then supply you with a cable for your radio that is already connected to the proper pins. Just plug it in an go. No need to open the unit to configure anything.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: