The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm opening my neighbor's garage door!  (Read 38027 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »

Just curious if they used pl tones for garage door openers if that would solve the problem. Apparently they don`t,as that would be an added expense.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »

No PL tones. They use a digital code, usually with a pulse amplitude modulation. The RFI issue opening/closing the door however is not signal getting demodulated by the receiver. It is RF being picked up by the manual control wires (acting as an HF antenna) and directly tripping the control circuit just as though you had pushed the manual button.

The military RFI problem was a high power signal transmitted on or near the opener receiver's frequency blocking the signal from the hand-held door controller. The stronger signal wins so the working range of the controller decreases. I don't think it was ever a matter of the military signal opening/closing the doors, just making it difficult for the homeowner to open/close the door with his remote.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

I would be extremely careful with this one.  Get a copy of the paperwork for that particular garage door opener and check it concerning part 15.  If there is a statement in the paperwork pertaining to part 15 interference--and there should be--still be careful.  If your neighbor can prove that your equipment opened his garage door and there was a theft from his garage, he could well try to get you for illegal entry. Never mind that Part 15 is your defence, you could still have a lot of grief from it.
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

I wish I could open my neighbors garage door. We don't get along  Grin
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »

I never had a problem while transmitting, but when I was a teenager I used to open my neighbor's daughter's window almost every night after I *stopped* using my radio.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »

You're lucky her father didn't deploy chokes to fix that problem.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:29 AM »

The situation drastically changed this weekend when both mine and my neighbor's houses were broken into.  I wasn't home at the time but my neighbor was sleeping when it happened and he was beaten, not badly, and very shaken up.  Therefore, I'm going to put this one on the back burner for a while.  He's thinking about moving now.  This was the second break-in at his house in the past year.  We don't (or didn't) live in a bad area, but it's getting there.

I've recently relocated my antenna to a tree further from his house and I'm able to get on 30M-10M with no problems.  So if I have to give up 40m for the time being, oh well.  I would hate to unknowingly open his door and have another incident occur.  I'm just happy he's OK. 
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »

Just had another thought. You can get wall mounted remotes for most openers. They are intended to let you mount a button anywhere without having to run wires to it. The advantage of one of these would be that you could completely disconnect the manual button wires this eliminating the long "antenna" and the RFI. The manual button would then function via the radio link.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »

I solved a similar problem.  When running >300 watts, one of my two garage door openers would cycle.
What solved my problem was a bypass capacitor .05uf across the wall button or the unit itself.   

If you are on good terms with the neighbor and he is willing to cooperate, you may be able to solve his problem

Otherwise, assuming you solve your own issue, the neighbor's garage door is his problem, not yours

Hope this helps
WB2EOD
WA2GO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »

Sorry to hear of the crime in your neighborhood, that really stinks.
Speaking of crime - it's a crime not to use 40M - it's a really great band (as I'm sure you already know.)
I'd like to suggest that you consider experimenting with him to find out exactly how much power activates the door, and then limit yourself to using well below that (for example, maybe 50% of that amount, or whatever you feel will give you complete and total confidence that you won't operate the door.) You can have a ton of fun on 40M even with 5 or 10 watts, and I'd be shocked if you open the door with that little power.

I also wonder if you considered trying to just lengthen his receiving antenna (the wire from the manual switch) by 5 or 8 feet to change its resonant frequency. That might be all that's needed. For example, there is a decent chance that his wire might be about 17 or 34 feet long, which would make it good antenna for picking up 40m signals.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »

Years ago when I had young kids that kept leaving the garage doors open I added an alarm type magnetic sensor on the doors. They connect to a bulb in the house (near the TV) that is lit any time the doors are open. Still working and still handy some 20 years later.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KB9BIT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 06:00:05 AM »

I've since moved my antenna to a tree further from his property and have it up quite a bit higher.  Last Saturday I tried the antenna out on 40m CW using about 100w and did not have any problem with his door opening.  I talked with him yesterday and asked if he's had any more problems with his door and he said no.  So, maybe all it took was moving it to a new location.  I'll still be cautious about getting on 40m late at night just in case.  The only problem I have now is that on 40m I'm knocking my DSL modem offline whenever I transmit.  I can live with that until I can come up with a fix.     73.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: