The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Viking Adventurer HV filter caps?  (Read 45521 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »

Jim-my replacement manual shows the fuse as 5 amp, but penciled out and 2 written in. I wonder if they might have realized there was a problem after I had my transformer hand delivered from Waseca( by big mucky-muck by the name of Magnuson). Cost me $15 too. Not sure what his function was. The date was around July of 1958. It might be interesting to see if others have different values for the fuse. I can still smell that burning insulation.

Wow - great story! Shows how a simple typo can cause all kinds of trouble.

Of course when you think about it a little, a 50 watt MOPA transmitter should need maybe 100 watts input from the AC line on a bad day. That's less than 1 amp at 110 volts. So a 2 amp fuse would be plenty. But nobody at EFJ caught the mistake.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »

Antique electronics in Tempe had them a year or so ago.

Greg
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »

Antique electronics in Tempe had them a year or so ago.

Greg
W9ALD

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:56 AM »

Jim-my replacement manual shows the fuse as 5 amp, but penciled out and 2 written in. I wonder if they might have realized there was a problem after I had my transformer hand delivered from Waseca( by big mucky-muck by the name of Magnuson). Cost me $15 too. Not sure what his function was. The date was around July of 1958. It might be interesting to see if others have different values for the fuse. I can still smell that burning insulation.

John Magnuson worked in the Design Engineering group and worked with Manley Youngberg on the Viking I & II as well as the Ranger.  John left Waseca to take a job in Lincoln, NE working for the folks at Hy-Gain and was the fellow that designed the Hy-Tower vertical antenna.  If I remember correctly, John passed away in the last decade or so.

The mere presence of a signal is more important than it's magnitude.
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »

The purple glow inside the 807 is gas. Just means the tube probably won't last too long.
Regards,
Dick KH2G
W9ALD

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »

If you put some voltage on the getter pins the gases may burn off and extend the tube life.

Bill

The mere presence of a signal is more important than it's magnitude.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: