The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vhf modules...driving an Amp?  (Read 1568 times)
K3JVB

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »

Hello-all

I have a Ft 767gx, with all vhf modules. I was considering an amp for 6 and maybe 2 meters.
What would be the best way to interface an amp..or two?

I also drive a FL-7000 on 10-160 meters.  Has anyone done one of these?  Should I home brew an interface..or is there one on the market?
Thanks
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:21 AM »

I don't recall the FT-767 that much, it's a bit old now and I never owned one.  However I did own many Yaesus of about that vintage, and still own an FT-736R, which is a 4-band VHF-UHF rig.

The 736R has separate 'amp key line' outputs for each band (it has four of them), so you can just connect one key line output for an amp on each band -- very easy.

Presuming the 767 doesn't have that, or you probably wouldn't be asking this question!

If the rig only has one key line output for an amplifier (switch contact to ground on XMIT), I'd probably just use that single line to key all amplifiers, by isolating each amplifier with a steering diode.  That's a diode wired in series with the key line input for each amplifier, to conduct current in the proper direction and isolate each amp from the other ones.

This will work if the internal keying relay (or transistor) in the Yaesu can handle the keying current of all amplifiers combined, since this approach would be switching them all at the same time.  No big deal electrically, if you only "drive" one amplifier at a time.

If the relay can't handle the load, then you can add buffer transistors (like emitter followers), one for each amp, all driven simultaneously by the original keying relay in the Yaesu.  If it makes you feel better, you could even add a switch to select which amp was being keyed -- but I probably wouldn't bother.

WB2WIK/6
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »

Thanks

I have to look at the schematics. But It was the same era as the 736..I think?

But either waym I have a way to go. Thanks.
Cya on 6 !
JohnB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: