The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buyer Beware: W4HYC, DBA cqdx4me on Ebay  (Read 8099 times)
K4SSS

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:23 AM »

Hi all.

I recently got scammed on Ebay by W4HYC, Everett Cummings, DBA (doing business as) "cqdx4me" on Ebay.  He listed a book, "Understanding, Building, and Using Baluns and Ununs, by Jerry Sevick,"  in "as-new" condition, stated that it was a hardback edition, and wanted $60 for it.  Here's the listing:

Condition: Like New: A book that looks new but has been read. Cover has no visible wear, and the dust jacket (if applicable) is included for hard covers. No missing or damaged pages, no creases or tears, and no underlining/highlighting of text or writing in the margins. May be very minimal identifying marks on the inside cover. Very minimal wear and tear. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition

This is a slightly used hardback book with no missing or torn pages from a non-smoking environment. Cover is in very good shape.
Please know what you are buying BEFORE you select buy it now.
I will ship USPS Priority mail and there are NO RETURNS items is SOLD AS IS.
If you have any questions please email me before you attempt to purchase.

Well, what I received was a softbound edition that was well-used, had a large, non-removable stick on the title page, and all the upper page corners had the typical black stains you find on a book that had been copied.  I contacted Mr. Everett and he got all indignant, stating that he had made a mistake, and to call him.  I said no and that we needed to do everything in writing and he only became more indignant.  He completely ignored my questions about why, if he had made an honest mistake in calling it a hardback, did he relist it with the same statement, why he was asking $60 for a book which can be purchased new for $20 (softbound edition), and why he was saying that the book was as-new, when it was obviously well-used.

I couldn't deal with Mr. Everett, W4HYC, and so I just left him negative feedback....

Buyer Beware!

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »

If you paid via PayPal, they should offer you some recourse to reclaim your funds
for mispresented items.

If the book is copyrighted, and you received a homemade "copy" of the volume,
that would open up several other avenues for recourse based on material being
sold that violates existing copyright protection.

I wonder if the author is aware that unauthorized copies are possibly being sold?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »

If he has it advertized as an original hardcover copy and you got a copying machine copy, not only did he scam you, he is he guilty of copyright infringement.  Instead of dealing with him, I would file a claim with e-bay for false representation and check with the FBI to find out how to have criminal charges put against him.  It won't cost you anything but some time, and if you really want to keep the book for yourself, you can always make a copy since the FBI would probably require that you turn over the book as evidence.  Yes, that dances on the edge of a copyright violation, but people have made copies of books that aren't available any longer so they can have a reference--as long as they don't do so to make money off of it.

These type people have to be dealt with, and not just let go to keep on with their criminal ways.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:50:39 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W4HYC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:53:01 AM »

Hello everyone this is W4HYC lets get the REAL story here.
First of all I did list this item on ebay along with another Jerrry Sevick book that is a hardback. I listed the hardback first and used that listing as a template to list the softback book.

Yes I made the mistake of not catching the error in the listing.
When I was notified of the error I promply responded to the buyer and told him to ship it back and I would gladly refund his money and pay the return shipping. He refused.

I never ignored him, I offered my home phone number to discuss this with him ( since I dont' have internet at home) he refused and wanted to do email and go through ebay. I contacted ebay and asked for their advice I did everything ebay instructed. All he had to do was to return the item and I would have gladly refunded his money.

Now so far I have been slandered, libeled and now with this posting I have been accussed of criminal acts. Gentlemen this is where I draw the line. This book was purchsed from Amazon .com for my use.

I Never copied this book and the book I bought was the same exact book I sold him. I have the complete discussion via email and will gladly post all of them to show how this impotent insect is a LIAR.

His lies here in this posting will be seen. Maybe he should get his checkbook out if he continues to malign my character and good name. I am quite sure that we can go to the Federal Courts now to litigate/resolve this issue so please continue Bob.
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

You have offered him a full refund plus return shipping. That is the best you can do.  You've also posted your side of the argument on this thread, but I wouldn't be lured into a full blown pissing match with the buyer.  Especially on un-moderated feedback forums like this one or the others on QTH.com or QRZ.com.   If he continues to refuse to return the book then wash your hands of the whole deal. 

I would certainly use eBay's email system for all communications with this buyer.  I won't use personal email for use on eBay after having one difficult buyer recently.  You might need a record of having offered a full refund to take the wind out of his sails if it were to escalate to the point of involving Paypal with their buyer protection program. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:41 AM »

Everybody makes mistakes.  If you did offer a full refund and he refused, agreed that you did all you could.  Just make sure you document the offer somehow, and as the previous writer said, wash your hands of it. 

Sorry I spoke without knowing the full story.  There may well be good sellers and bad sellers, but often times forgotten is the fact that the same applies to the buyers.  73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: