The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grundig Satellit 750 warning  (Read 75735 times)
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2018, 02:32:07 AM »

I have serviced the Eton, Tecsun/Redsun volume control pots. They are manufactured by CTS (think: the Toyota gas pedal recall).
 Cleaning or deoxit doesn't help. Replace the control with a generic 'audio taper' pot. Mine was a dual 10KΩ unit of the same dimensions (metric). I was able to reuse my old shaft on the new control.
 The resistive coating on the pot 'shoe' had worn or flaked off in spots along the wiper path at the low-volume end of the shoe. This caused intermittent high volume blasts and a very touchy volume control.
 I inquired about factory service (hi hi) and they wanted more than the radio was worth. They said that they could sell me a used audio control board for $150. The company only services the controls as a board assembly.
 It is best to go with Mouser (or a similar outfit) and DIY.
 Use ESD precautions and an adjustable temperature, small tipped iron with good lighting and magnification for removing the pot from the audio control board. Through-hole solder lands can be fragile.
 I touched up and reflowed many suspect solder joints while I was inside the radio. So far, so good.

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 07:46:54 AM »

Just stumbled across this old post.
For those having trouble with the volume pot. on the 750 get one of these it is an exact replacement the way it functions and mounts to the board.
just have to shorten the shaft some.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PTD902-2020K-A103/?qs=QARuOjD9jaH%252bU9Qb4%2FgqJg%3D%3D

Do you recall any significant access challenges when replacing the pot?  Or how much you had to shorten the shaft?
It wasn't too hard to do.  If you have some experience with working on radios.  If I remember correctly I opened the back of the radio and I had to remove the the board below the speaker. That board has all the tone controls on it.  From there it was as easy as de-soldering the old control and installing the new one.  I only had to grind of about an 1/8 of an inch or so.
I have might have,  extras PM me and I might be able to send you one.
KK4GMU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »

Well, I did it.  If my workmanship were graded in a high school electronic shop class, I would have gotten a "C" for sloppy workmanship.  If it was "pass/fail" I would have passed.

I have one of those solder/heat blower work stations that I've never used the blower on a circuit board to remove anything.  But the pot removed nicely with the uniform heat to all 6 points.

The sloppiness occrred when I attempted to shove the 6 prongs of the new pot into the circuit board while heating the area with the blower.  In the process I lifted the copper on the board.  So I abandoned the blower technique to resolder and reverted to a thin tip solder iron to patch things up.

Anyway, problem solved.  I now have a normally functioning volume control.  Thanks, everyone, for the repair tips.  Maybe I'll be hired by Grundig to screw things up like they do.
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 04:02:21 AM »

Congrats on the repair job, sloppy or otherwise! Smiley

Mike
N0TLD
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »

Sounds like you used the smd blower to melt the solder, pull off the old part and while keeping the solder molten, push the new part into place.
I did mine the old fashioned way, small iron and solder wick.
Did you have to shorten the length of the shaft?
DRLALLAL

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »

Dear Sir
Where can i find replacement potentiometers (value unknown) for the Squelch, RF gain and the SB BFO controls? The radio is a Eton Grundig Satellit 750 which is the same as Tecsun 2000. Anyone with the schematic diagram please can you tell me the values or where i can buy the 3 pot module board. The controls are broken to the extreme that i can't measure the R values . Thank you so much !
Lal
******** Cry Cry Cry Cry
I have serviced the Eton, Tecsun/Redsun volume control pots. They are manufactured by CTS (think: the Toyota gas pedal recall).
 Cleaning or deoxit doesn't help. Replace the control with a generic 'audio taper' pot. Mine was a dual 10KΩ unit of the same dimensions (metric). I was able to reuse my old shaft on the new control.
 The resistive coating on the pot 'shoe' had worn or flaked off in spots along the wiper path at the low-volume end of the shoe. This caused intermittent high volume blasts and a very touchy volume control.
 I inquired about factory service (hi hi) and they wanted more than the radio was worth. They said that they could sell me a used audio control board for $150. The company only services the controls as a board assembly.
 Use ESD precautions and an adjustable temperature, small tipped iron with good lighting and magnification for removing the pot from the audio control board. Through-hole solder lands can be fragile.
 I touched up and reflowed many suspect solder joints while I was inside the radio. So far, so good.

KC6RWI

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »

Just saw a used eton grundig 750 on amazon for $1999.00. I was not shopping for one but this add came on from browsing history. I assume now you can put any price and offer it to the masses.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 05:22:37 AM »

Dear Sir
Where can i find replacement potentiometers (value unknown) for the Squelch, RF gain and the SB BFO controls? The radio is a Eton Grundig Satellit 750 which is the same as Tecsun 2000. Anyone with the schematic diagram please can you tell me the values or where i can buy the 3 pot module board. The controls are broken to the extreme that i can't measure the R values . Thank you so much !
Lal
******** Cry Cry Cry Cry

The volume control I replaced was a dual 10KΩ pot marked as '103' (meaning 10k - a '104' would mean 100k) on the component body. I purchased it from Mouser.
 You will find that schematics, service information and replacement parts are restricted for these types of radios, but many have similar designs and componentry.
 Search ebay, etc for someone parting out a radio, although I imagine that the audio control board would be the highest in demand.
 I used the Roadstar TRA-2350 manual as a guide. Your radio may vary.
I don't have the 750 service info, so you would have to determine the value:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/762278/Roadstar-Tra-2350.html?page=5#manual
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »

Just saw a used eton grundig 750 on amazon for $1999.00. I was not shopping for one but this add came on from browsing history. I assume now you can put any price and offer it to the masses.

Sounds like somebody was.... well, something.  I want some of what he was smoking. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: