The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WBMQ 630 AM  (Read 806 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »

This station just made my night. Just over 300 miles northeast of me. They're in Savannah,GA only running 47 watts at night!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:59 PM »

Nice catch! What are you using for receiver/antenna?

"WBMQ gave up its transmitter site on Oatland Island. It moved to a new location in Savannah, near the Savannah River. But because it could now only use one non-directional tower, it had to reduce its output.
 Daytime power dropped slightly to 4,800 watts and nighttime power was rolled back significantly to 47 watts.
 While the daytime signal covers a large region of Coastal Georgia and South Carolina, the nighttime signal only serves Savannah and its adjacent communities.[7]"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBMQ
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »

I'm using a Zenith Royal 500E,from 1960. The internal ferrite loop is the only ant,but works great. I have several Zeniths in storage that I rotate to make sure they get used.That particular chassis is a real performer,with loud audio. I'm  an area that was hit hard by Hurricane Michael, so had to evacuate. While I was up north in NJ I was surprised to hear Radio Reloj,with the " tick tick "signal. Even that classical music station on 530khz. They're in Havana.
Last night while listening to WSM, I heard another station on their frequency playing music. Have you ever heard that station? Maybe if I hear them again I can get an id. While I was in NJ was amazed how well WWL came in on my Sony ICF-S10. That radio isn't bad for a modern AM receiver.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:34:24 AM by NO2A » Logged
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »

WPRO in Rhode Island is on 630, 24/7.  They have an excellent location in a salt marsh but they shift their pattern northeast at night.  It's a talk radio station, so if you heard music it probably was not PRO. 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »

Thanks. I'm still listening for an id when I hear them. There aren't many stations on that frequency on the east coast at night, due to WSM's clear channel class A status. I'm thinking it could be outside of the U.S. They play oldies. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: