The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first shortwave radio?  (Read 476327 times)
KA0USE

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

sony icf-2001, bought used in a pawn shop 1983.
that radio was a vacuum cleaner for signals. had a bfo switch for ssb.
hard on batteries, so mostly used an ac adapter.
had it for many years, then sold (a mistake, in hind sight).

2W0EJP

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »

My grans old Transistor radio with a circular dial. Then got a Sanyo DSR2 with shortwave, followed by a Steepletone MBR7.
Now have a Steepletone MBR7, MBR747, Tecsun 2000, Yupiteru MVT7100 and a JRC NRD 91
KT4HX

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2018, 03:45:53 PM »

Very first was a Ross AM/FM/SW portable given to me by my mother in the 1960s.  She originally ordered the AM/FM, but whomever she ordered it from (Sears, Spiegel, Wards) was out of that one and sent the other instead. That started me down the rabbit hole. 
KJ4DHI

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »

Mine was an SW-54
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: September 17, 2018, 06:45:40 AM »

Home built Super Regenerative...  Used one tube, (dual), and would shock hell out of you if you pulled the band change coil without killing B+.

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »

It was an old  Emerson (circa 1938) five tuber AM radio that my dad gave me when I was 7 years old .  My uncle (who was a ham) plugged one of the coils with a piece of aluminum foil and made some adjustment that allowed me to tune to the New York AT&T marine operator towards the end of the broadcast band..  I spent hours eavesdropping on ship to shore telephone calls.  If I tuned to the bottom of the broadcast band I would pick up ..._ ..._ ..._     _. ... ...   _. ... ... (NSS).  That signal was so strong and the radio's selectivity so loose that I'm sure I wasn't directly tuned to the actual transmit frequency.  OK...so this was actually a Long Wave radio.
KD8OPV

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »

Mine was a Knight kit R-100A that I bought second hand, real cheap at a Ham Radio Outlet store in New Castle, DE back in 1991. It was in awesome condition. I lived on a fourth floor apartment that had a balcony. I made a home-made antenna from a 5' piece of 2-1/2" PVC and helically wound #12 THHN wire side by side as a dipole on it. I hooked it up to the radio and was mesmerized at the stations I received. With that radio I received cards from Radio Luxembourg, Voice of Free China, Radio Budapest, Radio Prague, Radio Sweden. HCJB, Deutsche Welle, and a whole lot more. I swear by the older receivers. It was funny. My wife could find me late at night and early morning hours listening to programs while I jotted down the programs content to prove my QSL worthiness. Then off in the mail I would send my card along with IRC's to get my prize.[/b]
KA0USE

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »

sony icf-2001
KD8OPV

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »

Mine was an old Knight R-100 and it was sweet. I ended up getting a QSL from Luxembourg and they only had 10 kW. As you said my friend, those were great days!
KB8FGC

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2019, 07:00:39 AM »

Mine was a Realistic DX-100.  I had it hooked up to a long wire antenna.  Had a log of fun chasing down dx and sending in reports for QSL cards, I especially enjoyed hunting snagging "low power" (around 5kW) stations.  (But I still had my favorite arm chair copy stations, notably Radio Netherlands, Radio Beijing & Radio Cairo.  Radio Tirana was also a hoot...they were so rabidly anti-American!)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2019, 06:52:31 AM »

Not mine, but over the summer/fall I gifted a very close friend with a loaded FR-101D/SP-101 - then an FRG-7 as a Christmas present.

The Frog is the first receiver I wanted way, way back when - but ended up with a DX-160 instead. It's a little easier to drive than a lot of others I could have donated to an up and coming SWL.

As was told to me, the height of my friend's holiday season this year was us listening to Christmas music on WTWW (5085) and drinking cocoa together. Too bad it doesn't have a switch marked "Now" and "Then" so one could hear the airwaves around the time the radio first came out.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »

S39E in 1957 that my mother bought me on a military transport PX on the way from SF to Taiwan. I tried like the dickens to get it to work on the ship but there was so much noise and inside the compartment, no way. I think even some of the ship guys tried to help. I brought it back to the US in 59 and used it as my RX with a DX40 I got in about 59 or 60. I think I sold it much later to some lady in DC that wanted to listen to SW. That's when I got an HQ145X, much better radio, wish I'd kept that one.
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2019, 03:28:36 AM »

Not mine, but over the summer/fall I gifted a very close friend with a loaded FR-101D/SP-101 - then an FRG-7 as a Christmas present.

The Frog is the first receiver I wanted way, way back when - but ended up with a DX-160 instead. It's a little easier to drive than a lot of others I could have donated to an up and coming SWL.

As was told to me, the height of my friend's holiday season this year was us listening to Christmas music on WTWW (5085) and drinking cocoa together. Too bad it doesn't have a switch marked "Now" and "Then" so one could hear the airwaves around the time the radio first came out.

Kudos to you for being such a fantastic friend and radio 'mentor', gifting such awesome radios. You have a very lucky, blessed friend. I hope they're really enjoying it!

Mike
N0TLD
AB9PM

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »

Radio Shack DX 160 I think the model was. , no digital dial back then.
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mRP9SmIDVk

Peter VK3YE

One ham radio post each day. Visit http://dailyantenna.blogspot.com
Author of top selling $US 5 amateur radio ebooks on antennas, QRP, getting started and more. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm
Pages: Prev 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: