The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RXer prices  (Read 2553 times)
UTESWL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »

Well, it's similar throughout the ham radio and serious SWL hobby... A lot of guys are into the hobby big time, and they have the money to keep the demand up for used receivers. Maybe with some of them it's that desire to get a receiver they wanted when they were younger, but couldn't purchase for whatever reason.

The rest of us -- I think there are a lot of guys like myself -- we use our older comm rigs / digital SW portables, and make do. Most rigs that weren't duds still work OK. My Sangeans do.

I think another factor is there simply aren't a lot of new comm rigs for SWLs available new. Maybe two or three, if that?

In the late 1970's / early 1980's there were several Kenwoods, a Yaesu, one or two Drakes, the Lowe series, and a few others, all competing, along with the higher end Sonys, Panasonics, and even some of Radio Shack's offerings.

Competition often drives down prices.

LOL, Radios... those things which were extremely limited compared to a $100-200 SDR.... It is most likely nostalgia. Most of the ham world charges way too much for old, outdated, obsolete stuff to be honest and don't even get me started on prices for software. It's the whole "if you want it cheaper build it/code it yourself" elitism.  It is almost as if they decided to make it as expensive and inaccessible and niche as possible then bemoan "why aren't young people interested in this hobby".

BTW: Is your name a reference to Renton, WA?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:32:31 AM by UTESWL » Logged
UTESWL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »

Understand the problem. I got into radio as a 'listener'.

I have little experience with SDR radios so can't say how superior they are. It seems few use it for HF ? I think (don't know) many have a problem with overload.

Many people use SDRs for HF, I'd actually say the majority of serious HF DXers use SDRs. Overload is not a problem if you're using a good SDR like an SDRPlay RSP1a or Airspy HF+ Discovery or better which are in the $100-200 range. I've only seen overload problems from people using $20 dongles which weren't really designed for HF.
VK5ISO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:47:37 PM »

Living in Australia, we still have quite a dynamic SW environment and can follow most of the SW broadcasts from South-East Asia, India, the Korean peninsula, Japan, etc.

I used to have until a couple months ago   a very  nice stable of legacy SW receivers (JRC 545, AOR 7030, JRC 515 with the Sherwood mods and a Grundig Satellit 700), all in superb condition and enjoyed using them tremendously.

However, the nascent problems in the JRC 545's display (it fades into nothingness like the Cheshire Cat!) was a big wake-up call. Mine was still fine, but I could see a future in which it wouldn't be.

I sold the lot of them this year, with the exception of the AOR 7030, which is by far my favorite and which I run with a Sherwood SE-3 Synchronous detector and a BHI noise cancelling unit.

I replaced my faithful old Grundig with a Tecsun PL-880 which performs almost as well (you can't really beat the sound on the old Grundigs).

No one makes SW receivers of that quality anymore, but there does come a point when, not to put too fine a point on it,  old is simply too old. These receivers  are impossible to service and the spare parts have become unobtainium.

I would recommend to anyone interested in SWL at this point in time to buy new with all the caveats.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: