Call Search

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Friends Remembered
Survey Question

DX Cluster Spots

Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: School Club Organizational Documents  (Read 10527 times)

Posts: 442

« on: January 03, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »

According to FCC regulations a club must have 4 members as well as organizational documents.  I want to start a school club and want to follow the rules.  I know a lot of school trustees just submit the 605 and get a call sign but the rules are clear that there must be organizational documents (I assume a constitution and bylaws).  While I have access to my local clubs documentation, I don't feel it is directly transferable to a school club.  Please don't tell me to just submit the 605 and get the call sign.   I am sure I could get it, but, again, I want to follow the rules.  Does anyone have an electronic example of school club organizational documents that they could send to me to use as a template?

Posts: 260

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »

I just googled "school radio club organizational documents" and this popped up right away:

I'm sure there's many more out there.

Posts: 6275

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:55 AM »

I believe you are mistaken.  The FCC doesn't have any set standards for clubs--the ARRL does.  Unless you want your club to be recognized by the ARRL or the school itself (or some other organization demands such documentation) you don't need to go through the hassle and paperwork you describe.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:58:56 AM by K1CJS » Logged

Posts: 15016

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:16 AM »

Part 97.5(b): (2) A club station license grant. A club station license grant may be held only by the person who is the license trustee designated by an officer of the club. The trustee must be a person who holds an operator/primary station license grant. The club must be composed of at least four persons and must have a name, a document of organization, management, and a primary purpose devoted to amateur service activities consistent with this part.

It doesn't really say what the document of organization must contain but I assume at least the following:

1) Name of club
2) Name and address of sponsoring organization (i.e. school name)
3) Name of sponsoring teacher
4) Name and address of station trustee
5) Club officers (president, vice president, etc)
6) Purpose of club
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:35:49 AM by AA4PB » Logged

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA

Posts: 719


« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »

If you are at a college or university (or even a high school), there may be requirements to be a "recognized student organization."  Usually there is an office at the school that specializes in helping hobby/special-interest groups to form.  They probably have template documents that you can use.  Interfacing with this office may be a good idea anyway if you eventually want to establish a station on campus, etc.  It often gives you access to a pot of money to buy equipment above and beyond member dues.  (Wonder why college tuition and fees are skyrocketing?  Here's a fine example.)

Posts: 442

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

I work in a public school district middle school.  We have numerous clubs from Step Club to Science club to computer club to Cup Stacking to Board Game clubs.  There really is no requirement by the school or district to be organized in any particlar manner nor are organizational documents required.  All it takes to start a club is an adult staff member who will sponsor the club and give up personal time after school to make it work.

My only concern is with meeting the letter of the regulations as defined by the FCC.  Even the 605C form has the statement on it as pointed out by AA4PB as part of Part 97.5(b).  I think the FCC is clear that they don't want just anyone loading up on club calls (I guess now an individual can only be the trustee to one club) so they want to make sure it is a ligitimate club before granting a call.

I have asked the ARRL to give me some advice.  They should know so maybe they can come up with something.


Tom Maxwell

Posts: 6275

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:09:02 AM »

Part 97.5(b): (2) A club station license grant. A club station license grant may be held only by the person who is the license trustee....

Oh, a CLUB LICENSE!  The original post did not specify a license grant.  It is possible to have a 'club' station and not have a club license grant.  All it takes is a control operator willing to use his/her callsign being present to supervise station operation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!