The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. Romney says "Hams are not needed" with agitation.....  (Read 108421 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

I saw the interview and it's an old one (2005). Plus, he didn't say that Ham Radio was not needed. He said we don't need to 'deal' with ram radio operators. I saw the context and it's clearly an issue that he's not concerned about. It's not that he has no regard for Ham Radio, it's that he doesn't see it as an issue that needs his attention. I hear that as a positive. It's a Fed issue anyway, not a State one.

It's amazing what some people will read into something when they've made up their political mind.

dave Smiley

While is is possible to look at anything more than one one way many feel the true intent is he feels it would be better to sell spectrum for profit if possible because he is a of "vulture" capitalist at heart looking for quick profits regardless of collateral damage caused by it. What I also found interesting is that average return for investors in his company was 50% profit while he took not 100 or even 200 but rather a 600% profit himself.

I'd say that's exactly what I was trying to convey. It's not just entirely about what be said about a hobby I'm or all of us are passionate about. The fact his true feelings came out in his expression to the answer and being a politician I can no doubt conclude the same as you. Their filthy rich powerful politicians that care nothing else but profit. If he could he would!!

Again, let's not forget how bright he is. I ask this question. Does it make sense for him to construct a system that cost money and leaves a door open for him to funnel money which is hard to track in a budget already in a deficit smart to do?

NO!!

Why when you have volunteers to do the same effective job for nothing.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

You must be a millionaire!

Unless you are your not getting 50% of nothing so wake up. If your middle class or poor your gonna get screwed. So what ever we can prevent them from taking if any intentions is what I'm fighting for. Seems like they just take a little give a little then take more to keep some people fooled.

Guess what? It works!

Not a millionaire, but I would like to be someday...and I don't think you can get there by whining about the success of others.  If we were speaking about a guy who deals drugs or some other illegal profession, my reaction would be quite different.

I don't buy the "if you're middle class or poor your [sic] gonna get screwed."   While Romney is not one of them, there are tons of folks who have come out of a poor state to succeed enormously...even in times of economic depression.   Not everyone can, for certain.  However, hunkering down and feeling sorry for oneself doesn't seem to work either.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »

You must be a millionaire!

Unless you are your not getting 50% of nothing so wake up. If your middle class or poor your gonna get screwed. So what ever we can prevent them from taking if any intentions is what I'm fighting for. Seems like they just take a little give a little then take more to keep some people fooled.

Guess what? It works!

Not a millionaire, but I would like to be someday...and I don't think you can get there by whining about the success of others.  If we were speaking about a guy who deals drugs or some other illegal profession, my reaction would be quite different.

I don't buy the "if you're middle class or poor your [sic] gonna get screwed."   While Romney is not one of them, there are tons of folks who have come out of a poor state to succeed enormously...even in times of economic depression.   Not everyone can, for certain.  However, hunkering down and feeling sorry for oneself doesn't seem to work either.

That's fine by me. I wish you success on your endeavor on becoming wealthy.

You could care less about a hobby ,or a hobby that performs not only a pleasant neurological stimuly but a humanitarian function as well. Yet, you own a call sign and for what purpose? I guess just like for many just to meet your selfish pleasantrie needs and I guess that's okay. Isn't that part of why we all have a license?

The difference is like many you belong to a different group. You don't care about anything but what benefits you. Nothing more! So this hobby means not enough for you to help preserve it but enough for you to soak it up while it's around and willing to sell it for profit. When it's all soaked up for a few bucks you (we) would lose many years of gratification. Some things are not worth it for a few bucks to certain group of people. Money isn't everything!

See I'm wealthy in many ways but don't live in a mansion. If I felt the need I can be more successful than I am now. It's not worth the price you pay to get there from my stand point of view for now. Even then I wouldn't sell half my ham band spectrum for $1,000,000 dollars. So it's not about whining over poverty or trying to ride someone else's coat tail.

We're just cut from two different moral grains!

73!
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »

I have a callsign because I enjoy the hobby...not to make money from ham radio.

My reference to selling spectrum was tongue-in-cheek to express that if the proceeds could be applied to bring our national debt to zero, I'd happily make that sacrifice.  That would seem to be the epitome of a moral act for the better of the country....over 300,000,000 people.   Not for profit to me or anyone!

You have drawn conclusions about me relative to caring about my own personal benefit that are simply false.   While I don't know about the moral grain part, I do know that we both certainly approach logic differently.  

I'll end my participation in this thread at this point, as I'm sure the moderators would prefer that things end here.  I hope we can exchange other posts in non-political, non-controversial matters related to the hobby.   I wish you the best in your endeavors!

73!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:44:22 AM by K3WEC » Logged
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »

I'll just note that nobody has explained yet how having redundant power supply in the public service infrastructure will end up destroying everything that made America great. I suppose the answer goes something like "RON PAUL !!!!1!" or "I'm a sovereign citizen, the government has no right to take my money and spend it on UPS'es and generators that might save other people's lives"?
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »

I have a callsign because I enjoy the hobby...not to make money from ham radio.

My reference to selling spectrum was tongue-in-cheek to express that if the proceeds could be applied to bring our national debt to zero, I'd happily make that sacrifice.  That would seem to be the epitome of a moral act for the better of the country....over 300,000,000 people.   Not for profit to me or anyone!

You have drawn conclusions about me relative to caring about my own personal benefit that are simply false.   While I don't know about the moral grain part, I do know that we both certainly approach logic differently.  

I'll end my participation in this thread at this point, as I'm sure the moderators would prefer that things end here.  I hope we can exchange other posts in non-political, non-controversial matters related to the hobby.   I wish you the best in your endeavors!

73!

Agreed and again you the same on your endeavor's.

73!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:44:23 AM by N2RRA » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 05:51:42 AM »

I'll just note that nobody has explained yet how having redundant power supply in the public service infrastructure will end up destroying everything that made America great. I suppose the answer goes something like "RON PAUL !!!!1!" or "I'm a sovereign citizen, the government has no right to take my money and spend it on UPS'es and generators that might save other people's lives"?

Probably because the professional opinion from highly recognized scientists that know more than Romney are suggesting we are due and will be effected by C.M.E.'s in the future that will render all those UPS systems useless along with new solid state technology.

One thing their be calling on us for is to use our tube gear cause that'll be what it takes to get back up and running. So why spend the money?

If you don't know what CME's are and what I'm talking about do some research on this solar cycle. Hey, anything is possible!
WA4VBC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »

Better not depend on hams with tube gear to save us as hams with working tube gear are getting mighty scarce and most are aging-out.  Sid.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »

Better not depend on hams with tube gear to save us as hams with working tube gear are getting mighty scarce and most are aging-out.  Sid.

LOL! I'm fairly young but I own a Swan 500C I rebuilt and want to get a Heathkit HW-8 or something for QRP. If you wanna be wise it's wise to cover all base's. I see what your saying though.

73!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »

Probably because the professional opinion from highly recognized scientists that know more than Romney are suggesting we are due and will be effected by C.M.E.'s in the future that will render all those UPS systems useless along with new solid state technology.

One thing their be calling on us for is to use our tube gear cause that'll be what it takes to get back up and running. So why spend the money?

If you don't know what CME's are and what I'm talking about do some research on this solar cycle. Hey, anything is possible!
1.  Scientists are NOT saying we are 'due' for a massive solar storm.  Sure, one might occur, but we are not 'due".

2. Even if we have a large CME that causes damage to some of the power grid that does not mean it will damage home appliances, radios etc.   The power grid vulnerability is due the long 'antennas' (transmission lines) it has.

3. Who are we supposed to talk to, anyway?   Take care of your family, your home, your neighbors.
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 04:46:53 AM »

It just shows what he thinks of us. Even as a back-up resource.

And yet hams will vote for him. Go figure.

73 de Jim, N2EY

The alternative would be Obama...and I don't think this country can survive 4 more years of his "hope and change."
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »

How would Romney be any different?

73 de Jim, N2EY
How would Obama be any better?  Has anyone ever asked HIM the same question?  I'm sure that, right now, he'd tell you what you want to hear to get your vote.  After all, that's what he did in 2008 - told everyone what they wanted to hear.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »

How would Romney be any different?

73 de Jim, N2EY
How would Obama be any better?  Has anyone ever asked HIM the same question?  I'm sure that, right now, he'd tell you what you want to hear to get your vote.  After all, that's what he did in 2008 - told everyone what they wanted to hear.

I agree!

You could also say the republicans surely beyond a proven doubt didn't allow him to try out some of his ideas. That's nothing new though. There's always a fight ,or tiff because one of the other party won that year. Games get played behind closed doors like it's a video game. Yet politicians are playing with our lives like it's one.

Ridiculous!

Either way I didn't agree with some of Obama's ideas but was willing to try some. Problem is hitting the rich in the gut for once wasn't gonna happen with all those republicans saying no to taking pay cuts. It's easier to cut the middle class pay checks.

Still don't think Romney is gonna do any better. One thing he'll do is do away with ham radio emergency volunteers. No more Emmcomm! He doesn't need them!

Next it'll be our frequency spectrum but we can't assume ,or prove that so let's not worry about it for now. I worry about his crude idea to get rid of a proven working system unbroken for decades to implement a cost in a budget already in deficit. Then looking to tax us more to fund it ,or comes out of our reserve. Then in all that funneling of money losing track of who's pockets its going into and for what else. No different from how criminal interprise works.

What! You don't think the president has the right to tell the FCC "I want to meet with you and this is what I want"? Think again!
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2012, 06:09:10 AM »

Still don't think Romney is gonna do any better. One thing he'll do is do away with ham radio emergency volunteers. No more Emmcomm! He doesn't need them!
How much would you be willing to bet that Romney would close down MARS, RACES and ARES - everything about it - as well as stopping SATERN and the Red Cross use of amateurs, within 100 days of taking office as PotUS? Because I don't think he will. FEMA and many states and NGOs see the value of amateur radio as backup communication method.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:10:44 AM by LA9XSA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »

FEMA and many states and NGOs see the value of amateur radio as backup communication method.

This is 2012 and Ham radio simply does not have the clout in this area it once did and is being phased out like it or not.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: