The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. Romney says "Hams are not needed" with agitation.....  (Read 110165 times)
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »

I sincerely hope, and guarantee, that no presidential candidate is worrying about amateur radio right now.   It is likely, on par with most citizens, that none of them really know what it is, and that's fine by me.   Although it won't happen in the long term, I'd like to see them concern themselves with subjects infinitely more important to the country.   Amateur radio is first and foremost a hobby.  Of course it has its place in emergencies, but so do many hobbies.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

I sincerely hope, and guarantee, that no presidential candidate is worrying about amateur radio right now.   It is likely, on par with most citizens, that none of them really know what it is, and that's fine by me.   Although it won't happen in the long term, I'd like to see them concern themselves with subjects infinitely more important to the country.   Amateur radio is first and foremost a hobby.  Of course it has its place in emergencies, but so do many hobbies.
    True, but not like ours!  What other hobby could take credit for the thousands of lives that have been saved by amateur radio operators over the last century?
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »

True, but not like ours!  What other hobby could take credit for the thousands of lives that have been saved by amateur radio operators over the last century?

EXACTLY!!

It has a unique commitment to patriotism for it's countries people, community and life. No other hobby offers that same ability to make a detremental difference in an emergency.

It's also that last bit of difference of freedom of speech to be heard. Not restricted by media or being at jeopardy of restrictions by government. It's value of technical education lays the foundation for future generations. You have to understand the basics and origin of communication to progress.

It's more than just a hobby if you look at the whole picture. If you don't see that then your just an appliance operator that don't understand much of anything. Same reason why most appliance operators are to lazy to operate CW. It's too easy for you people to push the mic PTT button and call it "just a hobby" than learn CW and call it "skill".

When you work hard at something it becomes a skill with pride. When you don't it's easily thrown to the side like a pair of skates and call it a hobby. So keep skating through this hobby and if you ever loose the privilege of frequency band spectrum and rely on government media speaking for you maybe you'll realize the "value" this so called hobby has.

73!
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »

True, but not like ours!  What other hobby could take credit for the thousands of lives that have been saved by amateur radio operators over the last century?

I guess piloting, boating, diving, and many others have saved a similar number if not more...but again, I'm not disputing that amateur radio has its place in emergencies.   What I am saying is that I think it's a little overboard to go off on this guy (tool or not) for something he said 7 years ago about a subject he likely knew little about.   I'm not fond of him either, but it's not because of some years-old silly statement about ham radio.   He is a politician and if I could be assured that his old statement about a hobby is the worst thing he'd do in office I'd be TICKLED to vote for him.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:30:30 PM by K3WEC » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »

It's more than just a hobby if you look at the whole picture. If you don't see that then your just an appliance operator that don't understand much of anything. Same reason why most appliance operators are to lazy to operate CW. It's too easy for you people to push the mic PTT button and call it "just a hobby" than learn CW and call it "skill".

I realize that was probably a shot at me and that's OK.  My newest HF rig is a 40 year old boatanchor and I'm not terribly interested in VHF and higher.   I have an engineering degree.  Although I'm certainly not even close to being the electronics and operating whiz that a lot of hams are, I'm interested and learn when I can.  I do much more listening than talking.  I know CW.   Certainly there's an enormous amount of skill amongst amateurs.  However, it is still a hobby.  Oh well, that's all.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

It looks like Romney is the frontrunner for the republican nomination--so far.  Boy, is this country screwed!
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 03:55:03 AM »

Because apparently, public safety radio sites having redundant power supply will destroy everything that made America great.  Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »

It looks like Romney is the frontrunner for the republican nomination--so far.  Boy, is this country screwed!

He is very likely un-electable in general election as he has too much baggage he will not be able to sidestep there. He reminds me of old "snake oil" salesmen.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2012, 07:02:40 AM »

He is very likely un-electable in general election as he has too much baggage he will not be able to sidestep there. He reminds me of old "snake oil" salesmen.

I was referring to the choice we're likely to have--between Romney and Obama.
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »

I saw the interview and it's an old one (2005). Plus, he didn't say that Ham Radio was not needed. He said we don't need to 'deal' with ram radio operators. I saw the context and it's clearly an issue that he's not concerned about. It's not that he has no regard for Ham Radio, it's that he doesn't see it as an issue that needs his attention. I hear that as a positive. It's a Fed issue anyway, not a State one.

It's amazing what some people will read into something when they've made up their political mind.

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »

I saw the interview and it's an old one (2005). Plus, he didn't say that Ham Radio was not needed. He said we don't need to 'deal' with ram radio operators. I saw the context and it's clearly an issue that he's not concerned about. It's not that he has no regard for Ham Radio, it's that he doesn't see it as an issue that needs his attention. I hear that as a positive. It's a Fed issue anyway, not a State one.

It's amazing what some people will read into something when they've made up their political mind.

dave Smiley

While is is possible to look at anything more than one one way many feel the true intent is he feels it would be better to sell spectrum for profit if possible because he is a of "vulture" capitalist at heart looking for quick profits regardless of collateral damage caused by it. What I also found interesting is that average return for investors in his company was 50% profit while he took not 100 or even 200 but rather a 600% profit himself.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:31:09 AM by W8JX » Logged

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »

I don't care if a guy takes 1,000,000,000% profit if he can deliver 50% to me.   I'll take that deal any day.  

Seems to me bizarre to reach a conclusion that he's wanting to sell spectrum.   However, if he can get $15 trillion for it, I hope he does!  That goes for whoever ends up in office!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

I don't care if a guy takes 1,000,000,000% profit if he can deliver 50% to me.   I'll take that deal any day.  

Seems to me bizarre to reach a conclusion that he's wanting to sell spectrum.   However, if he can get $15 trillion for it, I hope he does!  That goes for whoever ends up in office!
   If he can sell off some of the spectrum above 33cm, and send each ham a check for $50K from the proceeds, I think I could forgive him!  Smiley
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »

You should because for that big a "jackpot" there will be train loads and train loads of losers and one day it can be you or someone you know.

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

You must be a millionaire!

Unless you are your not getting 50% of nothing so wake up. If your middle class or poor your gonna get screwed. So what ever we can prevent them from taking if any intentions is what I'm fighting for. Seems like they just take a little give a little then take more to keep some people fooled.

Guess what? It works!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: