The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Command Technologies 2500 amp aka Dedicated RF aka AN Wireless  (Read 95086 times)
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »

Bill,

One final time - I was advised some time ago that no such records existed. Thus, my response reflected that information.

Dan Simmonds
ND0B

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »

Perhaps you need to find better advisors. 
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

Bill,

There was nothing 'self serving' intended to be said in any way.

Frankly, if you knew just 1/20 of the disarray of things in general I've been sorting out on my own dime, you'd have a clear understanding of where my comments originate.

Dan Simmonds
ND0B

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2012, 08:28:03 PM »

Like I said perhaps you need better advisers. 

Fact of the matter is Gary managed to produce these amps and maintain good enough quality that the only dissenter on eham was a gentlemen complaining that his single tube amplifier only has one tube.   Disarray or no that is a reputation to be built on not sullied with vague innuendo of how bad things are.

Are there some things that should be fixed.  Decidedly (the power supply board is WHERE?)   Should it take...  how many years has your engineer been involved with these in one capacity or another?  Probably not.

I wish you luck.

73 de Bill ND0B

KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »

Bill,

Who is Gary?

You're commenting on things you have no knowledge of - specifically prolonged & very serious interstate legal issues which took place over the past 4 years. My #1 fault has simply been the fact I've been overly trustworthy of others. I am, and will remain vague on this subject, as you suggest I am, because it's the right thing to do.

Part of being professional, Bill, includes not creating a big fuss on the internet at the expense of others - regardless of how they treated you. See paragraph 1 above.

Rest assured, my two guys are working very diligently on some truly groundbreaking new products. I personally drove 5,200 miles last week to attend meetings with a 2nd engineer I've hired.

My phone numbers are available. If you wish to discuss further, you can telephone me.

Dan Simmonds
ND0B

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »

"Part of being professional, Bill, includes not creating a big fuss on the internet at the expense of others"

But Dan,  that is EXACTLY what you are doing and in a very real sense.   By yours and others vague claims as to the legacy
amps being poorly desiged, poorly built, parts not available, that it would be unethical to repair them, that there
was no FCC record of any of the amps,  etc, etc, etc.  you  impact the pocket books of current owners
by decreasing the value of those amps.

And in the process probably blowing the reputation that had been built by Pat, deserved or not, over the years.

My big fuss as you call it clearly showed that one of those statements was demonstratably false.  That pulls
into question the rest of what has been said and that can be used to advantage in any conversation concerning
the value of a legacy amp.  Its not personal Dan, its just business.

BTW, I never claimed to be professional... a quote from Steve Martin comes to mind by it is best left unsaid.

As I said before, good luck.  And I actually sincerely mean that. 

73 de Bill ND0B

BTW  Gary = Pat.  My bad.

KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

Bill,

This thread began when someone was angry over something, then began pounding out acquisitions which later became personal (as usually happens), which then placed several of us on the defense with very non-vague responses.

That defense, very simply, included us "telling it like it is" with regard to the earlier amps. I hope that process from months ago doesn't repeat itself.

I look forward to our phone call.

Dan Simmonds
ND0B

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »

"Telling it like it is" with a demonstrateably false statement is not "telling it like it is"

I am in the book, I look forward to your call.

73 de Bill ND0B
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:33 AM »

Responding to a comment by VE7RF at the beginning:
Power Master meters have a SWR alarm that a keying line can run through to stop keying.

I saw several Palstar AT5K negative reviews disappear over the years. Paul refunded my purchase price on mine but it was trench warfare.

Nice to see Tom Rauch in the thread.

Jim
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

I heard a rumor that they are working on a modified design for future marketing.
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »

A few updates and component photos:

http://www.dedicatedrf.com/

Thanks

Dan  KK3AN
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »

Wow !!! That got my full attention indeed . Can't wait Dan to see the final product and sales  Wink. Best to you Jeff
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2012, 03:29:59 AM »

Dr. Don, in previous exchanges on this thread re: legacy repairs, I thought I was to be on the repair list. heck, just this past year I had repaired 5 or 6 legacy amps here. 

Lou Parascondola W1QJ
75 Ball Pond Road
Danbury,CT. 06811
www.kingconversions.com
203 312 0055
W8LAD

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »

Good afternoon gentlemen, (Sat. 081812)...I am seeing that there are a few people having problems with Commander / "Palstar" amplifiers. 
If someone has an amplifier currently in need of service...perhaps I can help...
Unfortunately, over the past few years there has been a change here and a change there...but they all basically work the same.  Leave me a message here so we can connect and I'll see what I can do to help you.  I am the previous owner of both the Commander HF1250 and
the HF2500...both built by Pat Stein...and have visited with Pat at his shop a few times, and consider him a friend. 
Checkout/estimate of an amplifier is $30.00...over and above shipping to me in Groveport, Ohio
which is a suburb of Columbus.  I will charge you a flat labor fee of $150.00...plus parts and shipping.
25 years in electronics, FCC Radiotelephone License, FCC Radiotelegraph License, & Certified member of the Society of Broadcast Engineers...Radio amateur since 1978.

As there is some question of the availability of repair parts, if your amplifier requires an unavailable part, board, etc. it will be returned in the same condition in which it was received, and you will have only the estimate cost and shipping.
HF Amplifier repair experience: Heathkit SB-230...Heathkit SB-200...Heathkit SB-220...
Commander HF-1250...Kenwood TL-922...SGC SG-500..."Palstar" HF-2500.

Again, if you have an amplifier that is in need of service...I will try to help you...however, I make no claim to be able to repair any and all...due to the wide variety of amplifiers and issues that may be out there, repairs will have to be done case by case.  Example:  Last week I was approached by a local ham who owns a Palstar HF-2500...18 months old and not working since February 2012 when there was a loud bang as he was tuning on 20 meters...
HE SAID NEITHER PALSTAR NOR A&N WOULD TOUCH IT Huh?  I don't get it, but...
I got it Saturday and troubleshot, repaired and tested it (every band) and he got it back on Tuesday fully operational.

Lynn W8LAD

KB1SEL

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

Tom,

I have a 1963 conference paper on an amp that used a variable inductor for tuning, as well as vacuum variables. OK, it was continuous 2 - 27 MHz and 80kW. The coil was made of iridium plated copper tube about 3/4 inch diameter with cooling air forced down it. There were two contacting arms arranged to get rid of the Tesla coil effects at one end and the short circuit turns effects at the other, with special silver loaded carbon brushes to make contact,

There you go. The dual contacting arms shorting the unused turns at mid unused area would solve the problem with broad bandwidth systems using roller inductors. A single shorting bar does not make a good broadbandwidth roller.

MFJ tried to handle this with a trip level that pushes a shorting contact into the 1/2 way point when the roller rolls up below a certain minimum inductance, in effect adding the second shorting bar a long distance from the primary bar, but it is a mechanical nightmare.

Marconi used vacuum variables and switched taps on a pi-L: the 'bandswitch' used cams of Teflon and pushed contacts hard against the coil. Rather better, I feel: variable inductors seem to have a long term problem at high power.

They sure do. Not only do they have problems with Tesla effect and series resonances sucking out signal on some frequencies, any payback is extremely low. Even a 2:1 change in loaded Q is generally unnoticable, so there is no real sweet spot. There is a wide range of Q where things work about the same.

The most succesful variable inductor schemes seem to have been the ones which wind a conductor from a metal drum to an insulated drum: they seem less affected by dirt and dust. Collins, Marconi and Plessey South Africa and probably others have used that scheme.

I've got some rollers like that here. It is a good scheme, but they never looked like any cost or performance advantage over just adding a few taps to a regular system.

The roller inductors main advantage is getting rid of an expensive switch, but the switch allows a progressive pick up and hold contact that prevents unwanted resonances.

73 Tom

I agree with tom, Roller inductors present more problems then they are worth. I would much rather have a conventional progressively band switch.  Correction I meant a progressively shorting band switch
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: