The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP and can't solder...  (Read 13857 times)
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:13 PM »

Jason:

I can feel for you since I have something similar. My handwriting is crummy, due to trouble with my fine motor control. I can solder larger stuff, but the fine pitch SMT/SMD boards are a nightmare for me. I suspect I have a cracked solder joint in my Radio Shack HTX-10, since it needs time to "warm up" before working, but I'm afraid I'll ruin it if I try to fix that.

Low cost & already built are kind of exclusive of each other. I do see the Alinco radio for around $600 new. It's 100 watts, though.

QRP may not be able to "pound" through a pile up, but you can still go a long ways with a good antenna.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »

Learn to solder.
VA3TSK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

Don't know if this will help, but you might want to try using a magnifier or microscope for fine work.  Most technicians working on surface-mount components find that their dexterity is hugely increased if they solder under a microscope, since it dials up the "eye" part of hand-eye coordination.  Maybe it would compensate a little for your tremors.

Oh yeah, and I second the IC-703 recommendation!
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »

Get a K2 and get one of the K2professional  builders to build the rig for you.  The K2 is an excellent QRP/battery operated radio.

I  will try the KX3, however I dont like the sound of SDR radios on CW.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: