The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable Power  (Read 4583 times)
W4YAT

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:20:17 AM »

Does anyone have experience with this unit for providing truly portable power?

http://www.hamcontact.com/products.html
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »

They will provide 12v of power, but the battery is a small 12v 7am battery.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »

The Power Station 2 (7 A-H battery) and the Mega Station (17 A-H battery) are claimed to be able to power a 100 watt HF radio. They have a detailed analysis of how much time one expect to operation.

http://www.hamcontact.com/sb752.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:38:19 AM by WX7G » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »

They will provide 12 volt power, but if you're looking to run a mobile 2 meter rig of a HF rig for any length of time, look elsewhere.  The seven amp-hour battery in the unit will be exhausted in no time if you try to use it for that purpose.  You need a larger battery--there just isn't any way aroiund that.

I wrote an article about building such a battery pack with batteries totaling 28 amp hours, and there were still comments there that even a 28 amp hour battery was small.  (Link: http://www.eham.net/articles/23730)  If I were you, I'd look for something better.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »

The Power Station 2 (7 A-H battery) and the Mega Station (17 A-H battery) are claimed to be able to power a 100 watt HF radio. They have a detailed analysis of how much time one expect to operation.

One thing to be remembered--they're trying to sell these units.  You can consider yourself lucky if you get an hour out of the 'mega' station, and if you get any longer than about 15 minutes out of the power station if you're going to run a 100 watt rig off of it.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:48 AM »

You would be better off (cheaper and performance-wise) with a regular car battery, a carry handle strap and a trickle charger!  Wink
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »

Those units are fine - they are being honestly advertised/described.

But while operating off of portable power, think of DECREASING your TX power, and maybe improving your antenna. I mean, people are working the planet with 5W and a long wire. Do you really need 50/60/75/100W while working with portable power?

In the 2M/22/440 world, I see folks in my region - Southern California - with their mobile rigs set to HIGH TX output power - when they can literally see the hilltop repeaters surrounding them. Turn that down to 5W or 10W, and there is no degradation in signal quality.

Even with handheld radios ... Heck, I work ham satellites - more than 500 miles away - with my handheld, and it is NOT set to full TX power.

Clint K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
909-999-SATS
W4YAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:12 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  As a new ham, I appreciate you folks and your experience.  Keeps us guys from making some expensive mistakes.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »

But while operating off of portable power, think of DECREASING your TX power, and maybe improving your antenna. I mean, people are working the planet with 5W and a long wire. Do you really need 50/60/75/100W while working with portable power?

Sure you can under Ideal conditions but if you want to do it reliably you need more than 5 watts. 20 watts is one more S unit and 80 two more.  You are not only one on band. I have worked a few 5 watt portables and they were mostly a tuff copy at times and slightest interference wiped them out. One boosted power to 50 and it helped a LOT.

In the 2M/22/440 world, I see folks in my region - Southern California - with their mobile rigs set to HIGH TX output power - when they can literally see the hilltop repeaters surrounding them. Turn that down to 5W or 10W, and there is no degradation in signal quality.

Line of sight in VHF/UHF is a whole different ball game. Not same as HF

Even with handheld radios ... Heck, I work ham satellites - more than 500 miles away - with my handheld, and it is NOT set to full TX power.

Again line of site and the higher the frequency the small the antenna need to be to have good transmit efficiency.
[/quote]

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »

I'm not sure how portable you're looking to be, what you're running or how much power you're looking to get. Are you looking to hike with this power or will it simply be in the trunk of the car and you take it out and place it somewhere and return it to the trunk of the car when you're done?

For portable operations I have anything from AA's that go in my KX-1 to a Honda Eu2000i inverter type generator that is quiet and sips gas and allows me to easily run 100 watts for hours and hours on just a gallon of gas. The generator's primary use is to provide backup power to a few essentials at the house (sump pump, etc), but it comes out for field day.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »

I have a really good long lasting portable power supply for my ham radios. I call it a truckGrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: