Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390A Project  (Read 3357 times)
AB4TI
Member

Posts: 24




Ignore
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:02:48 AM »

Just popped the covers off my R390A that I've had for about 12 years. I'm going to replace the .01 cap in the IF with an orange drop and check the caps on the audio board. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I apply power?

Years ago it would power up but no audio. Tubes checked out but that's as far as I got.

All the mechanics seem fine and other than some dust it's relatively clean (no excess grease on gears.)

It was manufactured in 1967 by Electronics Assistance Corp. (Hammerlund).

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan AB4TI
Logged
WD8KDG
Member

Posts: 45




Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:38 AM »

Dan,

Don't know what information is on hand, but review these sites.
http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/r-390/
http://www.r-390a.net/

Download the Y2K manual, think it is in its 3rd revision.

All the BBOD's in the IF, RF, & audio board need replaced, electrolyics in power supply need replaced, the cap that rots on the audio board needs replaced. The blocking cap before the mechanical filters needs to be replaced. All this is mentioned in the two above links.

Mechanical alignment must be done before electrical alignment, also mentioned in the above two links.

Craig,
Logged
AB4TI
Member

Posts: 24




Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:55:21 AM »

Craig,
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the manual and spent several hours reading on those websites you suggested. I think I feel comfortable enough to give it a shot now.

I ordered several new caps to rebuild the electrolytics and replace the IF and audio section caps.

Was also lucky enough to find a retired Air Force Sgt. who used to service the R390A's. He's going to come over and give me a hand when I get the caps replaced.

Thanks again for your help.
Dan AB4TI
Logged
G3RZP
Member

Posts: 1324




Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »

You'll need a set of Bristol keys, both 4 and 6 spline.
Logged
AB4TI
Member

Posts: 24




Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »

Bristol keys on the way!
Thanks,
Dan AB4TI
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!