The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Gonset 3340 with missing plate transformer!!  (Read 1423 times)
KI4MRH

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:28:18 PM »

I have just recently acquired a gonset 3340, the very first of its kind and the plate transformer was missing. Past owner said he put 572b tubes in it and it smoked the transformer. Will I have to use a original transformer or can another work? What was the output of the transformer? Was it infact the 572b's the burnt the transformer up or just it time to go? Is this amp even worth the time to fix? Its good and clean inside and has 4 brand new tubes. I could part it out. I just dont know what to do in this matter. Looking for lots of responce on this matter. Thanks KI4MRH
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:51:48 AM »

This amp, commonly called a GSB-201, uses four 811A's.  572B's are often substituted and are a more rugged tube.  This substitution shouldn't cause a transformer failure.  The Peter Dahl Co. makes a replacement for $295 plus shipping (31 pounds).
www.pwdahl.com
Whether it is a good investment to repair this old amp is up to you.  An 811H Ameritron is an aproximate equivalent and for about three times the cost of the transformer you can buy a new amp.  A Heath SB-200 (used of course) can be had for a bit more than the cost of the transformer.  But you often have to spend $100-$250 to get the smaller but output power equivalent amp up to snuff.
Life is made up of trade-offs and compromises.
Allen
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:58:38 AM »

Changing the tubes shouldn't impact the transformer at all.  Maybe something else happened.

I agree a new xfmr might not be worth the investment, as unless the previous owner modified the GSB-201, it does not have an internal bypass relay (so one would need to be added to make it work with a transceiver) and it also doesn't use low-voltage keying.  It uses high voltage keying which is not appropriate for use with any sort of modern equipment, so that would have to be changed, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the filter capacitors and equalizing/bleeder resistors also need replacement (if they haven't already been replaced), and there goes another $75 or so...

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: