The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-1000MP Mk-V Field vs FT-2000  (Read 3309 times)
KB5HAV

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »

I performed a search on this topic before posting and did not find it or an answer, so, I apologize in advance as I know some get upset for a repeated question.

I am the former owner of a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mk-V Field (100 watt version).  I sold my radio, didn't really want to due to relocating, along with the matching SP-8 Speaker with LL-7 Phone Patch in the fall of '08.  I knew before moving that my new location has high voltage transmission lines that run between my backyard and that of my neighbors.  Sadly, these lines are so noisy that nothing can be heard on anything below 15 MHz, not even the local commercial AM broadcast stations.  Since I didn't have a place to store my radio, tower, antennas, and such, I felt I had no other option than to sell everything and then start over when the time came.

I am in the process of moving very soon and want to get another HF rig on close to what I used to have.  I've seen a similar question posted but it has been some time back, so, I will ask again for those who may have tested.  Has anyone had the pleasure of comparing the FT-1000MP Mk-V Field to the FT-2000?  The only rig I've owned other than the Field was the Kenwood TS-440SAT.  Needless to say, that the Yaesu was way better than the Kenwood.  As for ease of use, in other words, turning on the radio and going to work, the Kenwood was easy.  But to be able to null out the noise and pull in weak signals, plus adjusting the transmit audio, then the Yaesu wins. 

I realize the FT-2000 doesn't have the options of add-on filters as does the Field.  So, I guess my overall questions include, out of the box, how to the two compare, and second, do you consider the extra cost of the 2000 over the Field worth the money?  I love the Field and would buy one in a heartbeat if I knew it was near mint and no problems or mods.  However, I'm not apposed to buying new.

Your thoughts and advise is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Bobby Graves
KB5HAV
Brandon, MS
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:00:45 PM »

I have 450 kV lines within 1000 feet of my VA QTH.  Absolutely no noise.  I did have a noise problem from those lines about 7 years ago and the power company took care of it after I complained about it.  Call them up and ask for their EMI guy.  As for the MK-V field and the FT-2000, the last radio that Yaesu made that's any good is the 5000 and previously the 1000D.  Even the Yaesu sales VP, and I won't mention his name, told me so!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

Noisy HV lines often indicate a bad insulator. This means loss of power. So power companies are appreciating (most of the time) if told about leaks.
If you have access to the ARRL test reports why not compare those data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: