The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling "airtime" on ham radio  (Read 201106 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »

I knew a teenaged novice that attained DXCC on 15 meters in 1958-59. His dad had a nice rig and a beam on top of the house.

Currently known as W4ZV, a good friend for decades. He made DXCC as KN4RID

I made it to about 93 DXCC in 1955-6 as a Novice in the NYC-LI area with a Viking Adventurer, HQ-129X and a homebrew 3 el yagi made from a free and damaged 2 el 20M Gotham. Low cost budget station all the way.

Carl
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »

Hi James (KX2T):

I did not realize this was actually a old thread from last year that someone replied to and revived.  In fact, I've not hear crusty Carl on here since January.  Hmmmm.

Hmmm what? I got better things to do than cruise every forum every day...IOW I got a real life.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »

Hi Brian those towers and antennas are in my past, it was kind of like having a 7 second AA fuel dragster for those year and to be honest it was almost all for contesting with a close group of ham buddies, hell I really never used my call. We mostly used one of my buddies calls, I really didn't want the QSLing  and cared less about DXCC cause I gave up the chest beating when I was almost joining the LIDX group but found way too many guys cheated in how they got a rare card and never made the QSO so I gave up on the Honor Roll cause what I found out there were very few who really honored that award, each to his own.
When contesting it was fun getting the group together and having a weekend of fun plus we did good especially from a 1/3rd acre plot and CC&R's but as time went on the township changed there regs on antenna restrictions from 50'(notice both towers were crank ups)to nothing unless you had deep pockets and were layered up. One of my friends spent $15K in the town of Islip and still NO PERMITS so I had seen the writing on the wall and started to down size allot also the adult nursing home was being built behind me which was 3- plus acres of woods were I had my beverages on, heck when they broke ground I had many beverages in my back yard cause I knew what was to come. I talked with a ham who was a lawyer a few weeks back and he told me that I should have had permits on those towers back then but what he didn't realize is when I first installed them they were fine and both lowered just below 50' but the town changed the code after 10 years and even if you had a permit they required a new one, there was no BS about grandfathering it in.
Anyway back to the selling air time and the guy in one land that makes such a big stink plus brags about the JA's he worked, wow he is just like Carl, hell when I was a novice in high school they nicked name me the JA kid only cause my parents had a home on a hill in Port Jefferson and the land slopped off real fast to the north so my HB 3 element 15 meter beam at 30ft on there roof looked like it was 60-70 ft with the terrain slopping off so JA propagation was fantastic back in 1968/69.
As they say its all good and all fun and today someone living in a condo or a HOA can rent the time on a big super station and have some fun for a few moments in there life plus they don't have to worry about the rest that is involved with big antennas and a better DX qth. As a matter of fact there is another company coming to that market place and they already have a group of super stations lined up so it must be worth it cause it look like the newbies on the block are dumping a half mil into this, I wish them luck and to N1CX please get a life  cause life is to short for sitting here on these forum with your bitch fest.
I think because the bands and propagation are soo poor way to many go to these forums to release there angers and frustrations.
To Jim N2EY, I too go by James or Jim and like yourself prefer either of these names but Jimmy is a name you call your son while he is small and once he becomes a man that changes. So I agree maybe you should call Carl dear or sweety, maybe honey, personally I would chose PITA!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: